• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Teams we've not played.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
The programmes from my collection of that day(I got the Darlo one later)
From memory,View attachment 3060View attachment 3061Middlesbrough beat Barnsley 2-0.
Always stuck in the mind that day back in the Bernie Slaven heyday.

Rosencrantz

Always stuck in the mind that day back in the Bernie Slaven heyday.
Wasn't it the start of a pretty decent Middlesbrough team before some players inevitably moved on. Apart from Slaven, there was Gary Pallister, Tony Mowbray, Colin Cooper, Stuart Ripley, Gary Parkinson, Brian Laws, Alan Kernaghan. I remember them being shown live on ITV when still in the second division around that time.

DB9

If you look at Old's photo the Boro programme has "1986" on the club badge, that was the year the "Old Boro" was wound up and a "New Boro" was formed (Seems like back then a wound up club could be reformed instantly and "Takeover" the old club's league position) Looking at Rosy's Boro team in his post, That is a pretty healthy looking team 12 months on.

Oldsmobile-88

Wasn't it the start of a pretty decent Middlesbrough team before some players inevitably moved on. Apart from Slaven, there was Gary Pallister, Tony Mowbray, Colin Cooper, Stuart Ripley, Gary Parkinson, Brian Laws, Alan Kernaghan. I remember them being shown live on ITV when still in the second division around that time.
Not bad..Probably the best since Souness,Armstrong,Mills & the rest from the Jack
Charlton era.
3455EABE-AFE3-449A-9B79-4DD676DCB3C3.jpeg

wiveygrecian

I
Yes..November 1987,drove the minibus a couple of times to Darlo when there were insufficient numbers for a coach...Glad we did Ayresome Park on that postponement,it was the only time I got to see a game at the ground.
I was with you !! Fences had spikes on!!

Red Devon

Plenty of household names in there...used to particularly like Ripley get the ball down and go past defenders my type of player that...hard to believe that was actually a div 2 side...I think Kernaghan ended up at Darlo for a time.

Oldsmobile-88

I

I was with you !! Fences had spikes on!!
😁😁 Like a POW camp.😎

pièce de résistance of football grounds fencing at the time..With the possible exception of the electric fence at Stamford Bridge 😁...Though the GLC would not let Chelsea turn it on....Those were the days.

DB9

😁😁 Like a POW camp.😎

pièce de résistance of football grounds fencing at the time..With the possible exception of the electric fence at Stamford Bridge 😁...Though the GLC would not let Chelsea turn it on....Those were the days.
Ayrsome Park, Roker Park and the Victoria Ground in Stoke were really "Proper Old School" grounds with great atmospheres, Sadly lacking in a lot of modern grounds.

Oldsmobile-88

Ayrsome Park, Roker Park and the Victoria Ground in Stoke were really "Proper Old School" grounds with great atmospheres, Sadly lacking in a lot of modern grounds.
Yep..A different football world now...The biggest difference from those days to now is you could just turn up at any top flight game & get in...It’s impossible to spontaneously turn up at top flight grounds now & get in.

DB9

Yep..A different football world now...The biggest difference from those days to now is you could just turn up at any top flight game & get in...It’s impossible to spontaneously turn up at top flight grounds now & get in.
You're right, Very little chance nowadays if a City game was postponed to get into a top flight game off the hook.