• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Team for Wembley?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Law needs to be given a free role to go either side and confuse their defence. Otherwise we need a balanced side with the left more covered than yesterday, Richardson did OK but he not a natural left sided player, a better team would have exploited our left side more.

Maxted probably has the edge in goal, they are both decent L2 standard but nothing special.

Assuming everyone is fit I'd go for the following.

Maxed

Sweeney
Martin
Moxey

Williams
Atangana
Collins
Sparkes

Law

Fisher
Bowman
As I posted on the other thread that's exactly the team that played so well against Northampton in the home game back in December. Would be pretty remarkable if all the players are available for selection and we're able to field the same 11.

Boyo

By the way, the Wembley pitch effect is slightly exaggerated: assuming the figures posted online are correct, it is quite wide (68 metres v 64 at SJP) but only a metre longer (105 v 104). The pitch at Argyle is actually wider than Wembley (70 metres). Sixfields is 106 x 65.

And its the same for both teams.
So SJP is 6,656 metres squared whilst Wembley is 7,140 metres squared. So Wembley is 7% bigger than SJP. I'd say that's significant.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
So SJP is 6,656 metres squared whilst Wembley is 7,140 metres squared. So Wembley is 7% bigger than SJP. I'd say that's significant.
I agree it's significant. But also IMO exaggerated, every pitch in the leagues has different dimensions. Anfield is only 101 metres long, the Etihad is much bigger than Wembley. It's not like at Stoke where they narrowed the pitch for European games so Delap's throws were landing on the penalty spot.

And as I said, the same for both teams. The size of the pitch at neutral grounds is an excuse not a reason.

I'd imagine the temperature and length of the grass will be as important if not more so. Both managers will have to manage the extra subs allowed well.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not that i'd have him in the starting eleven, are we to assume that Lee Holmes is injured?

Fareham Grecian

Wembley has a larger pitch than SJP and is notorious for being strength sapping also the weather is far warmer in late June than is normal for the players to perform in. Question is, do we go in all guns blazing like yesterday or sit back conserving energy for the final twenty minutes ? Both managers have got some big calls to make over team selection this week.
Forecast at the mo is for the heat to have gone by then - 18 deg and
sunny spells at kick off.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I won't hold you to that.
:)

IndoMike

Indeed

Grecian2K

Minus 18 degrees??? :eek:
(And at a time when arctic Siberia is enjoying record temperatures up in the plus 30's. The world weather truly has gone topsy-turvy, hasn't it?!)

rooecfc

Not that i'd have him in the starting eleven, are we to assume that Lee Holmes is injured?
he hasn't come back to training due to the fact his daughter is at risk from coronavirus.

older-codger

Just to be pedantic - it is 6656 square metres and 7140 square metres. 6656 x 6656 and 7140 x 7140 is one heck of a pitch to play on! :)