• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Team for Wembley?

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ward would be number one by a mile before his injury.

Unfortunately since he broke his arm he is clearly not the same player he once was.

I suggest anyone who thinks Maxted is ropey for crosses goes back and watch the Swindon away highlights and see how poor Ward was in that game.
I'd suggest you need to take into consideration the hurricane that was blowing straight down the County Ground that would have caused any keeper to have problems.

crocks

Maxted for me. He has the ability to pull off amazing saves which Ward would let in. I also perceive the defence is more comfortable with Maxted in goal....all IMHO of course.

PeteUSA

Maxted for me. He has the ability to pull off amazing saves which Ward would let in. I also perceive the defence is more comfortable with Maxted in goal....all IMHO of course.

"Amazing saves"! I dont altogeter know when I saw him do one of them! To your last point though, one thing our defence has never been IMHO is comfortable with Maxted in goal. He appears not to communicate with his team mates and looks a total loner between those posts. Ward is far and away the best keeper in every department, but I think we know that he's suffered a dip in form since he broke his arm. He should be automatic choice though if he's fit enough.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
"Amazing saves"! I dont altogeter know when I saw him do one of them! To your last point though, one thing our defence has never been IMHO is comfortable with Maxted in goal. He appears not to communicate with his team mates and looks a total loner between those posts. Ward is far and away the best keeper in every department, but I think we know that he's suffered a dip in form since he broke his arm. He should be automatic choice though if he's fit enough.
You obviously missed his save in the last minute at home to FGR; his multiple fantastic saves away at FGR too.

Also, I’d say the save when Poku went clean through on Monday could be classed as amazing. Poku was favourite to score but he closed down the space well and managed to block the shot and also manage to deflect the ball clear from goal. The fact that this save kept us in the tie also makes it amazing.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Also Pete, Maxted has twice as many clean sheets as Ward, so to say the defence doesn’t feel comfortable with Maxted in goal seems a bit odd.

For what it’s worth I also think Ward is a great keeper

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
For the first time for a while we have two very adequate keepers when it recent seasons its been Pym or nothing. Maxted for me for Wembley as he is the keeper in form I am sure Ward will come good again

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I expect Maxted to start, but equally Ward is good enough to play in my opinion.

Would expect Aaron Martin, Moxey and Sweeney to be in defence as the previous games.

Probably a toss up between sparkes and Richardson.

In midfield two of Collins , Taylor and atangana. Law and williams likely to play as long as there are no injuries.

Bowman up front.

For me the decision is does fisher retain his place after doing well , or does Matt start Seymour or Jay or ajose if he is deemed fully fit (Lee Martin could come into the picture if he has recovered-not heard how bad his injury was) or do we play an extra midfielder to try and control the game in the hope we can get enough bodies forwards to give support to Bowman.

Although I would love to win comfortably I think we again need the bench to play a big part in getting us over the line.

grecIAN Harris

I expect Maxted to start, but equally Ward is good enough to play in my opinion.

Would expect Aaron Martin, Moxey and Sweeney to be in defence as the previous games.

Probably a toss up between sparkes and Richardson.

In midfield two of Collins , Taylor and atangana. Law and williams likely to play as long as there are no injuries.

Bowman up front.

For me the decision is does fisher retain his place after doing well , or does Matt start Seymour or Jay or ajose if he is deemed fully fit (Lee Martin could come into the picture if he has recovered-not heard how bad his injury was) or do we play an extra midfielder to try and control the game in the hope we can get enough bodies forwards to give support to Bowman.

Although I would love to win comfortably I think we again need the bench to play a big part in getting us over the line.
Another with Indo disease...... what is this obsession people have got with trying force six into midfield. Either you play with four at the back or two up front because we nearly always play with five in the middle.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Maxted
Sweeney - Martin - Moxey
Williams - Collins - Atangana - Law - Sparkes
Fisher - Bowman

Think it's important we have a natural left-footer in Sparkes up against the dangerous Adams. Atangana gets the nod over Taylor to nullify the physicality of McCormack. I'd also have Fisher up top on the back of his good showing (and considering L Martin and Ajose are poor to say the least).

StudentGrecian

Maxted
Sweeney - Martin - Moxey
Williams - Collins - Atangana - Law - Sparkes
Fisher - Bowman

Think it's important we have a natural left-footer in Sparkes up against the dangerous Adams. Atangana gets the nod over Taylor to nullify the physicality of McCormack. I'd also have Fisher up top on the back of his good showing (and considering L Martin and Ajose are poor to say the least).
That's the line up I would go with. Though, I think MT will drop Archie to the bench for Taylor.