• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Team for Wembley?

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Back 4 as above? You only picked one definite, the other three were all 1 from 2. Make some decisions man!
It was more about the formation than the individuals. But if I must:

Sweeney Martin Moxey Dickenson

There you are!

(Same team as your virtually, but arranged differently...)

LOG

Maxted (only just, based on my opinion of their current confidence levels)
Sweenz Martin Moxey
Williams (RWB) Dickensen (LWB)
Collins Atangana
Law (CAM)
Bowman Fisher

I never would have picked the two big men up top together before the last game but it worked well and I thought the Fish was a decent outlet and looked a threat throughout the first half.
I also believe that we would not be significantly weakened if we played Ward instead of Maxted, Taylor in place of either Archie or big Nige, Sparkes instead of Dickenson, Parkes instead of Moxey, or Jay in place of Fisher. Add to that the likes of Richardson, Seymour, Randall, Ajose and Lee Martin off the bench and we look pretty strong all over the park. Gotta feel confident, certainly more so than before our recent visits. UTC
I concur with all of this. I'd probably start with Sparkes over Dickensen but wouldn't be unhappy with it your way around. We seem to be in a very good place where several players are interchangeable without a detrimental impact on the eleven on the field.

Grecianpasty

In no way will MT change his formation to a back four when he hasn't done so all season. He will play a back 3 with two wing backs. The freedom lies within the midfield 3 and front 2. If he opts to play fisher/Seymour and bowman up front then I'd imagine he will play with an orthodox 3 in midfield. If he chooses Bowman and Jay/Martin up top than he may look to vary the midfield, doubtful though as neither Jay nor Martin will start in my opinion.

STURTZ

We may have set out as a back 3 all season but on many occasions we have changed to a back four when the situation demands, the players are well versed in making the change at any time and many players are capable of playing in different positions. Wembley's a big pitch and to ask players to cover as much ground as they are used to is asking a lot. Anyway an unexpected change might give Northants a bit of a shake up.

IndoMike

Funny after playing together for just one game in living memory many posters have suddenly decided that Bowman-Fisher is our best attacking threat. That's what you call a knee-jerk reaction.

Grecianpasty

We may have set out as a back 3 all season but on many occasions we have changed to a back four when the situation demands, the players are well versed in making the change at any time and many players are capable of playing in different positions. Wembley's a big pitch and to ask players to cover as much ground as they are used to is asking a lot. Anyway an unexpected change might give Northants a bit of a shake up.
Yes I agree. We set up as a back 3 but changed formations if things aren't working. The fact that it's easy for the players to adapt is probably why we've had success with it.

Will be great to see positive changes in the team, and as people have already mentioned, MT will be more likely to do it than Tis.

arthur

Funny after playing together for just one game in living memory many posters have suddenly decided that Bowman-Fisher is our best attacking threat. That's what you call a knee-jerk reaction.
Anything is better than Bowman by himself..

Rosencrantz

I like Sturtz idea, which I would express as a 4-2-3-1 Getting our key wide men further forward

maxted
Sweenz Martin Moxey Dickenson
Taylor (or Collins) Atangana
Williams Law Sparkes
bowman
In that formation I would swap Dickenson and Sparkes around, Jack is a better defender than Brennan despite his age.

I would actually be tempted to go same again and attack it like a home game. The only possible change for me would be to bring Nigel in for Jake although leaving the captain out would be a big call. Richardson's energy and hitherto unseen efforts to use his left foot deserves to keep his place with Jack a bit undercooked. Bowman and Fisher did well together in the home win against Northampton so why not again. Once again though, use of the bench and flexibility will be important. Matt got it spot on last time out.

IndoMike

In that formation I would swap Dickenson and Sparkes around, Jack is a better defender than Brennan despite his age.

I would actually be tempted to go same again and attack it like a home game. The only possible change for me would be to bring Nigel in for Jake although leaving the captain out would be a big call. Richardson's energy and hitherto unseen efforts to use his left foot deserves to keep his place with Jack a bit undercooked. Bowman and Fisher did well together in the home win against Northampton so why not again. Once again though, use of the bench and flexibility will be important. Matt got it spot on last time out.
So where would you play Richardson?

LOG

I'm by no means a great fan of Fisher but it worked on Monday so why not?

We've also got five, possibly six, subs to play with so if it isn't working we make a change. I'd expect Fisher to be taken off at some point anyway.