• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Team for Mansfield

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I like Forte a lot however I'd stick with the set up from last week, i.e. Boateng in behind Stockley, obviously Forte comes back into the squad though.

I haven't been a big fan of Croll's however he did OK last week, for me it's a toss up between him and O'Shea although I haven't seen the latter play yet.

If we play Croll it's also a close call as to whether he plays centre back or left back.

Last edited:

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Holmes is more suited to home games : not sure he is so good in the rough and tumble get down and dirty matches oop North.
Lee Holmes born in Mansfield, so might Saturday be one of the better away games for him to play in?

IndoMike

Lee Holmes born in Mansfield, so might Saturday be one of the better away games for him to play in?
Hm. Interesting point : do players play better when they go back to their home town to play?

LOG

Your comparison is meaningless
It's about having balance, regardless of the opposition innit. Tillson provides the additional defensive cover meaning the more creative players ahead of him don't have to worry about that (or not as much anyway).

IndoMike

It's about having balance, regardless of the opposition innit. Tillson provides the additional defensive cover meaning the more creative players ahead of him don't have to worry about that (or not as much anyway).
I didn't say Tillson shouldn't play. I said for away games I think both Tillson and Taylor might play to make the team more solid. But for home games I think just one of the two should play in order to have a more attacking line-up. It's just my opinion, which is difficult to prove or disprove. It seems that some Exewebbers feel that Tillson should be in the team, and others not. Tisdale seemed didn't pick him for every game and neither has Matt T. So you think that Tillson should play every game to provide cover and balance

Last edited:

LOG

I didn't say Tillson shouldn't play. I said for away games I think both Tillson and Taylor might play to make the team more solid. But for home games I think just one of the two should play in order to have a more attacking line-up. It's just my opinion, which is difficult to prove or disprove. It seems that some Exewebbers feel that Tillson should be in the team, and others not. Tisdale seemed didn't pick him for every game and neither has Matt T. So you think that Tillson should play every game to provide cover and balance
I wouldn't make him an automatic, unquestioned first choice, as no player should be really, but i said before Notts Co that i thought he should play, all the time thinking at the back of my mind that it was a bit negative seeing as we were at home to a side who'd had a terrible start. I just think that we have a great range of attacking options and they shouldn't be hamstrung by having to share that with defensive duties. That's not to say that they shouldn't provide some cover, defend from the front and all that, but i just feel more comfortable having someone like Tillson there to do all of the dirty stuff behind them, and someone who's quite happy to stick to that.

IndoMike

I wouldn't make him an automatic, unquestioned first choice, as no player should be really, but i said before Notts Co that i thought he should play, all the time thinking at the back of my mind that it was a bit negative seeing as we were at home to a side who'd had a terrible start. I just think that we have a great range of attacking options and they shouldn't be hamstrung by having to share that with defensive duties. That's not to say that they shouldn't provide some cover, defend from the front and all that, but i just feel more comfortable having someone like Tillson there to do all of the dirty stuff behind them, and someone who's quite happy to stick to that.
I'm starting to think that Matt T is also swaying towards making Tillson a regular. It seems that he is needed, although several Exewebbers question the quality of his distribution. I would still prefer Tillson or Taylor, but not both, for home games but that would need to be tested. Matt Taylor has quite a lot of options now : in midfield Law, Holmes, Boateng and hopefully L Martin all have some quality and there's still Collins and Sparkes in the shadows. To garner 13 points from 7 games having already played 3 or 5 of the top teams whilst still trying to formulate his best eleven is a very good achievement in my book.

andrew p long

Hm. Interesting point : do players play better when they go back to their home town to play?
The stats show that Holmes does. In the last three games away at Mansfield he has played twice; once starting and once coming on as sub. He scored in both of those games!

( though I am with you that some games- the 4-3 away win at Cheltenham a couple of years back for example - can see the defensive side of Holmes game somewhat exposed)

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I haven't been a big fan of Croll's however he did OK last week, for me it's a toss up between him and O'Shea although I haven't seen the latter play yet.
I like Croll a lot and given more game time I think he'll become our best defender and go on to bigger things. Strange how we all see things differently!

andrew p long

Interesting call for MT on the bench and the balance between attack and defence.

If Forte is on the bench there is also Martin,Ogbene Abrahams and Jay as well, none of whom deserve to be left out.

But surely we ought to have both O’Shea and Oates as defensive cover. Who to leave out?