• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Taunton Town vs Exeter City friendly match day thread. 7.45pm ko

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

My take on last night after time to reflect.Firstly Taunton friendly club the ground needs a bit of work if they are to get promoted again again for sure but they would have made a tidy sum from the 900 odd in the ground. We could learn some tips on catering with a rather nice coffee truck and Burrito Bus (very reasonable prices) serving the masses. I thought £12 slightly on the steep side for a psf given that is their league prices but maybe im being a tight wad :)
Onto the game itself the first half team was a mixed bag. Sparksy I felt delivered a number of telling crosses that needed a goalscorer to tuck away as MJ and the U18 lad never threatened. Biggest plusses for me I thought Harry had his most composed game to date (aside from the goal which Matt alluded to himself) and Pondy who looked and played like someone older than his 18 years won everything in the air this time and barring one misplaced pass looked like he has the making of a young Rio Ferdinand. The other big plus for me was Pedro Borges who again looked as if he has been around the first team much longer than he has with a composed display in the midfield alongside Archie who was steady. Pedro kept the passing simple keeping possession with several neat touches, good ball control and has a good engine. He was more impressive than Harry but Harry gets the benefit of the doubt after such a long lay off. Kitey will need a full pre season and a bit before he is in contention I fancy? On the downside I thought Josh Key was wasteful on several occasions but perhaps was missing his old mucker Sweens behind him? Harrison King did really well in his time on the pitch.
Second half team I expected to put Taunton to the sword but had little fluidity and clearly missed Nombe big time. A front two of Coley and Jervani didnt work and didnt play to the strengths of either. Nelson was a mixed bag with some good surging runs and other misplaced passes but he is still a work in progress. Amir Daniels apart from having the wrong boots making him slip regularly looks a player who has real potential. Standout player for me was Caprice who I fear will miss out on a starting berth at Lincoln as we will need to put Key in the shop window. At the back Grounds is an excellent player to have on the pitch never getting flustered. Chiek powerful and dominant in the air but his distribution was either too ponderous wasting runs from Caprice by holding onto the ball too long or far too often going long when a simple ball into feet was required. Thw other standout was Tim who as well as his two goals looked the player he is silky. Finally MJ something is amiss I know he isnt a forward but he looked quite down at times. I wonder if Matt is changing the captaincy this season affecting him.
No £12 is too steep!!!

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
My take on last night after time to reflect.Firstly Taunton friendly club the ground needs a bit of work if they are to get promoted again again for sure but they would have made a tidy sum from the 900 odd in the ground. We could learn some tips on catering with a rather nice coffee truck and Burrito Bus (very reasonable prices) serving the masses. I thought £12 slightly on the steep side for a psf given that is their league prices but maybe im being a tight wad :)
Onto the game itself the first half team was a mixed bag. Sparksy I felt delivered a number of telling crosses that needed a goalscorer to tuck away as MJ and the U18 lad never threatened. Biggest plusses for me I thought Harry had his most composed game to date (aside from the goal which Matt alluded to himself) and Pondy who looked and played like someone older than his 18 years won everything in the air this time and barring one misplaced pass looked like he has the making of a young Rio Ferdinand. The other big plus for me was Pedro Borges who again looked as if he has been around the first team much longer than he has with a composed display in the midfield alongside Archie who was steady. Pedro kept the passing simple keeping possession with several neat touches, good ball control and has a good engine. He was more impressive than Harry but Harry gets the benefit of the doubt after such a long lay off. Kitey will need a full pre season and a bit before he is in contention I fancy? On the downside I thought Josh Key was wasteful on several occasions but perhaps was missing his old mucker Sweens behind him? Harrison King did really well in his time on the pitch.
Second half team I expected to put Taunton to the sword but had little fluidity and clearly missed Nombe big time. A front two of Coley and Jervani didnt work and didnt play to the strengths of either. Nelson was a mixed bag with some good surging runs and other misplaced passes but he is still a work in progress. Amir Daniels apart from having the wrong boots making him slip regularly looks a player who has real potential. Standout player for me was Caprice who I fear will miss out on a starting berth at Lincoln as we will need to put Key in the shop window. At the back Grounds is an excellent player to have on the pitch never getting flustered. Chiek powerful and dominant in the air but his distribution was either too ponderous wasting runs from Caprice by holding onto the ball too long or far too often going long when a simple ball into feet was required. Thw other standout was Tim who as well as his two goals looked the player he is silky. Finally MJ something is amiss I know he isnt a forward but he looked quite down at times. I wonder if Matt is changing the captaincy this season affecting him.
Thanks for the report :you painted a vivid picture of how our team played.

DawlishBouy

thanks to Bidgy and Rosencrantz for keeping us updated.

DawlishBouy

Bridgy 81

Nice summary.
I went to WsM on Tuesday and they charged £9.
I agree that Taunton do have a decent food/drink set up but when I went there for a couple of their crunch league matches towards the end of last season I think they had more traders there.
Last night I would have bought a coffee from the little van but the queue was enormous whenever I looked over, even during the match. Maybe not all the traders came as it was a lower key friendly?
Also, as you say the ground is fairly basic. It hasn’t changed much since I was a schoolboy season ticket holder there 45 years or so ago!
I spoke with a steward and he said they’re extending some of the terraces and doing some other bits and pieces but he thought they had sometime to comply with whatever new requirements their new league has.

Pobbop

I think cover for Nombe is essential, not so sure Stubbs, we've not conceded many without him. Sweenz, Diabate, Pond, Hartridge, Grounds, it's enough IMHO.

Memphis09

Agree with this, think Caprice has really come to light over the last year, he always looks threatening when he's got the ball. Lee just needs a run of games, he is 2 years younger than Buse who is thought highly of by both Bristol City and Taunton, but think Harry is just as good, if not better! There's a clip of the goal on Tauntons twitter and I'm not sure where our defence was! Diabetes and Hartridge are good solid defenders and seem to work well together, put Stubbs in with them when he's back and it's a decent back line! Great free kick from Dieng and good passing for our goal, but other than that a pretty normal PSF.
Lee looks a far better keeper BUSE

denzel

Delete

Last edited:

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
No £12 is too steep!!!
Agree. Anything more than a tenner for a friendly is too much. Which is why I haven't been to any.

denzel

Agree. Anything more than a tenner for a friendly is too much. Which is why I haven't been to any.
I think £12 for Yeovil is OK, especially as Matt says we are more likely to see a proper game at that one and at Torquay