• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Taunton Town vs Exeter City friendly match day thread. 7.45pm ko

Bridgy 81

All over. We win 2:1.
Right, I need to get to Tesco Express in North Petherton before they close so I can buy a bottle of whisky to finish the evening off nicely.
Night all.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
It appears are 2 best players in Stubbs and Nombe need wrapping up in cotton wool. I wouldn't even bother risking them in friendlies.
How do you expect them to get match fit in time for the start of the season? Yes, they need to be looked after but if you don't give them some game time you can guarantee you'll be the first one complaining they look rusty at best if we get beat at Lincoln.

andrew p long

...knows exactly what we need
Stubbs at the back, Nombe in attack..

Exehausted

Right, I need to get to Tesco Express in North Petherton before they close so I can buy a bottle of whisky to finish the evening off nicely.
Night all.
Thanks to you and the others for keeping us up to date. Go and enjoy the drink!

JCWhoosh

Maybe MT is purposely keeping them back to show the board how light we are and needing more funds to strengthen. Clever imo 🤔😏

jase 07

Night all.
Thanks for your updates ! Enjoy your whisky

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Maybe MT is purposely keeping them back to show the board how light we are and needing more funds to strengthen. Clever imo 🤔😏
Not that vlever when you know uou aren't going to get more money. If only we had a magic money tree.

Rosencrantz

Two good bits of quality led to our two goals in the end. It's always hard to judge these evening friendlies as it's very likely they trained earlier today as well and will be in a hard training period. We moved the ball a bit quicker in the second half with Dieng controlling things and Hartridge bringing the ball out down the left letting Nelson get higher up the pitch.

I would have liked us to play through midfield a bit more as Gabriel Billington looked like he had a good awareness of finding pockets of space and looks to move the ball forward which would have been better for what our attack was with Jevani and Josh Coley. Cheick went a bit too long at times looking for Coley over the top when there wasn't much space to drop the ball into.

Harry did make a decent save for Taunton's goal but would have liked to parry to the side instead of straight out where thy got the rebound. We should have defended better in front of him to stop the shot anyway.

Nice night out though 🙂.

andrew p long

how did the young players perform?

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
How do you expect them to get match fit in time for the start of the season? Yes, they need to be looked after but if you don't give them some game time you can guarantee you'll be the first one complaining they look rusty at best if we get beat at Lincoln.
I wouldn't complain if they looked rusty, I'd think they hadn't played much pre season and it may take a game or 2 to get up to speed. Tbh it's not like players lose conditioning these days during the off season like they used to. I wouldn't imagine Nombe has spent the last month in the pub and eating take away every night. He's been injury prone whilst with us so I wouldn't bother with 90 mins in meaningless games. I'd be giving him a few 30 mins here and there.