• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Taggy in the Athletic

Boyo

There's an article in the Athletic today about the rise in energy bills for football clubs in which Taggy has been interviewed. It's behind a paywall, however. Can anyone summarise the pertinent points?

sign of the chimes

There's an article in the Athletic today about the rise in energy bills for football clubs in which Taggy has been interviewed. It's behind a paywall, however. Can anyone summarise the pertinent points?
Suspect this has been picked up on another thread but, if not...

It was part of a wider article involving a few EFL execs about the cost of living crisis impacting football (utility bills, etc.)

Basically saying there could be problems on the horizon for lots of clubs at this level as paying spectators = cashflow.

Some chat on there about clubs moving to earlier kick offs with Andy Holt saying the savings on electricity would be negated by 50 fewer on the gate and pointing to the fact that their bars form a significant proportion of their turnover and would likely be hit if they were to kick off earlier - i.e. people will turn up at noon for a beer if kick off is at 3pm - but most wouldn't turn up at 10am if kick off was at 1pm; even if they could open the bars then.

Probably the most significant thing Tagg talked about from an ECFC perspective was the impact of rising raw materials on the cost of your training ground development - was suggesting final increase could be 800-900k on top of the original £2m forecast.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Suspect this has been picked up on another thread but, if not...

It was part of a wider article involving a few EFL execs about the cost of living crisis impacting football (utility bills, etc.)

Basically saying there could be problems on the horizon for lots of clubs at this level as paying spectators = cashflow.

Some chat on there about clubs moving to earlier kick offs with Andy Holt saying the savings on electricity would be negated by 50 fewer on the gate and pointing to the fact that their bars form a significant proportion of their turnover and would likely be hit if they were to kick off earlier - i.e. people will turn up at noon for a beer if kick off is at 3pm - but most wouldn't turn up at 10am if kick off was at 1pm; even if they could open the bars then.

Probably the most significant thing Tagg talked about from an ECFC perspective was the impact of rising raw materials on the cost of your training ground development - was suggesting final increase could be 800-900k on top of the original £2m forecast.
Now we know why we are overbudget !

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
interesting in the article that the Mansfield decision is now being described as 'an experiment' ie to test the water, see the differences etc.

I hoped Taggy's reference to 800k/900k increase was largely about the extra 800k which we knew we had to pay when the original contractor withdrew.

sign of the chimes

interesting in the article that the Mansfield decision is now being described as 'an experiment' ie to test the water, see the differences etc.

I hoped Taggy's reference to 800k/900k increase was largely about the extra 800k which we knew we had to pay when the original contractor withdrew.
I deliberately included the original figure that JT mentioned in my original summary of the article as I have/had no idea of what the original cost was and was aware there's understandably been a fair bit of discussion about it.

re. Mansfield - that's a really good point. I'd be surprised if they weren't just using it as a test as given the largesse of the Radford dynasty to date I reckon a few hundred quid per home game on the energy bill isn't going to be the fine line between solvency and admin unless they're looking to create a narrative and cut their losses.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster

I think it was according to this article announcing the start of the re-tendered building so breathe again 🙂

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think it was according to this article announcing the start of the re-tendered building so breathe again 🙂
Absolutely correct IMO