• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tagg's Trust AGM speech - 3 option

Boyo

Tagg at the Trust AGM outlined 3 routes that the Club can take and calls on the Trust to give him an instruction. I copy the options below. The full transcript of the speech is here: https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2019/november/chairman-agm/

1.We could do nothing and accept where that takes us
2. We could review our model, seek external investment, not in the same way of pretty much every other club I hasten to add, but perhaps along the lines of the German model, by far the most financially successful league in the world, perhaps a hybrid of our own making?
3. We could move house - Luton, Bournemouth - so many others are doing or about to do exactly that, and create a ground for the 450,000 demographic and cater for the leisure demands of Greater Exeter - football, music, hospitality, exhibitions, conferencing accommodation?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Tagg at the Trust AGM outlined 3 routes that the Club can take and calls on the Trust to give him an instruction. I copy the options below. The full transcript of the speech is here: https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2019/november/chairman-agm/

1.We could do nothing and accept where that takes us
2. We could review our model, seek external investment, not in the same way of pretty much every other club I hasten to add, but perhaps along the lines of the German model, by far the most financially successful league in the world, perhaps a hybrid of our own making?
3. We could move house - Luton, Bournemouth - so many others are doing or about to do exactly that, and create a ground for the 450,000 demographic and cater for the leisure demands of Greater Exeter - football, music, hospitality, exhibitions, conferencing accommodation?
Says who? A large number of German clubs are, or recently have been, in massive financial difficulties.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Tagg at the Trust AGM outlined 3 routes that the Club can take and calls on the Trust to give him an instruction. I copy the options below. The full transcript of the speech is here: https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2019/november/chairman-agm/ ...
Isn't this the option that's going ahead anyway? I'm of the impression that 'plans are well developed' etc etc.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Says who? A large number of German clubs are, or recently have been, in massive financial difficulties.
In fairness, Taggy was referring to the ownership models in Germany, not the success of those clubs.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Isn't this the option that's going ahead anyway? I'm of the impression that 'plans are well developed' etc etc.
Since when ? I know there were rumours a while ago but as normal it wasn't from a reliable source.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Since when ? I know there were rumours a while ago but as normal it wasn't from a reliable source.
Since quite recently, from reliable sources. It was also, most confidently, reported on this site in the last few days - typically, I can't lay my hands on the post(s) just now but will no doubt find them in due course.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Owing to the way that the current Trust/Club governance arrangements work, the club would not be able to advance this as an option without the authorisation of the Trust. No final decision on this could be taken without the approval of Trust members. I suspect that work has been done to begin scoping this option out. However, I am sure we are miles away from needing to book the removal vans!

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Owing to the way that the current Trust/Club governance arrangements work, the club would not be able to advance this as an option without the authorisation of the Trust. No final decision on this could be taken without the approval of Trust members. I suspect that work has been done to begin scoping this option out. However, I am sure we are miles away from needing to book the removal vans!
One of the good things about SJP is the fact its in the centre of our fair City not one of those soulless grounds on the outskirts or in the middle of an industrial estate.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
... I suspect that work has been done to begin scoping this option out. However, I am sure we are miles away from needing to book the removal vans!
Quite so. Twould be a medium term plan.

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
3 is cloud cuckoo land. No matter how many people "Greater Exeter" grows to encompass, only a few thousand will likely ever watch ECFC. The club does not have the backing, demographic or the wherewithal to make a hotel/leisure/stadium model work.