• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Swindon Town Vs Exeter City Official Match Day Thread. LD2 Brexit Day

Whose crying we're debt free and have been for five years and live within our means. Loan players are there for all teams to use and to my knowledge all clubs use them and as for spending lots of money on players & wages you couldn't be further from the truth. Yes we've been active in the transfer market this season but then we are a much bigger club with a bigger fa base bringing in more income.

Shame you don't spend some of it on your Stadium! I was shocked at the state of your dilapidated Arkell Stand which looked like it hadn't had a running repair since 1950. Everything was just a bit sh@t, hence our fans regularly singing 'I want to go home....etc'. I was expecting better from a side that once played top-flight Football!

So therefore I'm glad we 'own our own club' as we have a beautiful little stadium which we look after and develop within our means. We win awards for Best Matchday Experiences. Although we lost a big game yesterday, I left thinking how grateful I am I'm a City Fan and Oh Yes!, And we'll go up ! UTC

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Try to look beyond the binary, Ian. Why would you guess that? I'd rather see 20 goals notched up. They're hard to come by though, 20 goal a season strikers. Tend to play for good teams. Is that because the teams that do well are the ones who sign strikers who score.... or because strikers score goals if they're playing for good teams? Chicken and egg, isn't it? Bit of both. Doyle didn't do much for Bradford, did he?

Ajose's the guy we've gambled on being the big goal scorer. We're never gonna get someone in who fits that description and doesn't come with some baggage or question marks. He's been injured most of the season. Cost an arm and a leg. We can't buy two players like that. Vis-a-vis, we have to stock our front line with a set of players that offer a bit of variety. We've got a target man (Fisher), A bustling bruiser who runs the channels, brings people into play (Bowman), The goal poacher with a delicate touch and great movement (Ajose), The deeper lying footballing forward (Martin) and the young, raw buck (Seymour).

Ajose's been injured all season. Martin's been playing ahead of him. He's maybe not Lionel Messi, but he's done pretty well. Scored a few goals (not 20, granted), he's linked play up, he's been competitive. Is he a better bet than an Ioan Doyle? No. Is he utterly without merit? Behave yourself. Is it worth throwing anyone in because "couldn't do any worse"? No. Is it better to get someone who's game is about goal hanging at going for tap-ins (because that's the style you admire), even if they're pretty useless at it? No. Is it better to have someone there with a slightly better goalscoring record, but the team concedes more and scores less (as a team)? No. Should we throw Seymour in instead because, why not? Even though he hasn't done anything to show he's better than Martin? No.

Would I prefer Ajose, if Ajose is doing the business? YES
Try to read the sarcasm...…..

That shows how much you watched Seymour when he has come on. Had you watched closely enough you would have seen he was making all the kinds of movement that we're seeing already from Nicky Ajose. He is a proper striker who knows what he needs to be doing and where he needs to be running to link up with his strike partner. As we need to with Ajose at the moment, he needed a little time and patience and a run of games, which he never got, to get used to playing up front with Bowman and vice versa and I'm sure he would have started to score. I could have put up with a month of disconnect that might have taken than the months and months of frustrating nothingness from Martin up front. This notion that people like yourself and indoMike have of him being some kind of striker is false. If you look back through reports of him from his old clubs he is described as a winger or a midfielder, never any mention of him being a striker.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Firmino's only on 8 so far this season. Playing every week as THE central striker for a team a record 22 points clear at the top. Wants sacking, doesn't he? Get Ings back. Isn't it?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
This is the kind of attitude that makes me laugh my arse off when fans like you end up crying in their beer when their club finds itself on the brink of extinction due to financial mismanagement and reliance on one individual. Join you? No thanks.
Bit like the chipnickers then ?

IndoMike

Try to read the sarcasm...…..

That shows how much you watched Seymour when he has come on. Had you watched closely enough you would have seen he was making all the kinds of movement that we're seeing already from Nicky Ajose. He is a proper striker who knows what he needs to be doing and where he needs to be running to link up with his strike partner. As we need to with Ajose at the moment, he needed a little time and patience and a run of games, which he never got, to get used to playing up front with Bowman and vice versa and I'm sure he would have started to score. I could have put up with a month of disconnect that might have taken than the months and months of frustrating nothingness from Martin up front. This notion that people like yourself and indoMike have of him being some kind of striker is false. If you look back through reports of him from his old clubs he is described as a winger or a midfielder, never any mention of him being a striker.
Oii.! Don't bring me into your argument! Fight your own battles!!
I have always said Martin is an attacking midfielder. We play Bowman as lone striker with Martin in support : that's the design, anyway.

STFC since 1879

The Arkells was opened around 1970 and you're right the stand plus the ground in general needs upgrading but until now we've had our hands tied due to the council owning the stadium etc. We've tried many times to move away but each time the council wouldn't give permission to allow for a new ground knowing that they make a mint through extortionate rent etc.
You do have a nice little stadium and just a shame the away end is too small which could hold you back if you get into league one or have aspirations to eventually get into the championship

grecIAN Harris

Firmino's only on 8 so far this season. Playing every week as THE central striker for a team a record 22 points clear at the top. Wants sacking, doesn't he? Get Ings back. Isn't it?
Crap comparison Ed. You're talking about a player who has only ever played up front and is part of a front three where the distribution of goals maybe a little thinner against a player who has never played up front. Oh, and Firminho has set up seven also.

IndoMike

The Arkells was opened around 1970 and you're right the stand plus the ground in general needs upgrading but until now we've had our hands tied due to the council owning the stadium etc. We've tried many times to move away but each time the council wouldn't give permission to allow for a new ground knowing that they make a mint through extortionate rent etc.
You do have a nice little stadium and just a shame the away end is too small which could hold you back if you get into league one or have aspirations to eventually get into the championship
What's the average away attendance at Swindon? More than a thousand? And you're a "big club" , even though you're in Div 2 🙄
You also omit to state that in addition to our little away end we have the biggest standing terrace in the football league:which is the envy of many.

STFC since 1879

What's the average away attendance at Swindon? More than a thousand? And you're a "big club" , even though you're in Div 2 🙄
You also omit to state that in addition to our little away end we have the biggest standing terrace in the football league:which is the envy of many.
In league 2 excluding yourselves and Plymouth 400-500
In league one it would be more than double that.
My reference to your away end is Swindon wanted more tickets and that was at the start of the season so imagine if we played you now.
Not sure where you stand regarding your terrace behind the goal in league one although I think Burton have one so you may be ok.

exeter-loyal

Disappointing weekend all round with results not going are way. Needed to test the keeper more in that second period yesterday and we need to bounce back with a win this coming Saturday.