• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Swindon Town Vs Exeter City Official Match Day Thread. LD2 Brexit Day

Pobbop

About as depressing as Brexit this, still we move on, don't like us dropping collins, but if he was injured fair enough.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Regarding Bowman, as I implied before the game I didn't think he should have started, Taylor seems incapable of dropping him though, why ?

When he's at it he is a very good team player who leads the line very well, for whatever reason he has stopped doing that recently, his body language has been poor and he looks unhappy about something.

I think it's time to give Fisher and Ajose a run together, I think they are our best finishers, Taylor needs to select a pairing and give them a run, he cannot keep chopping and changing week in week out.

One other thing, our final ball is often shocking, we miss Sparkes crossing so much.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
To lose away to the team that is top of the league, that had extra mo with their 2 goalscorers back, that had 11k fans behind them and a ref who failed to send off their dirty barsteward Doughty is no shame and there's no need to panic.
But the brief but implausible rumour that Stockley was coming back makes you realize what we're missing.
All roads lead to Bowman, but no matter what anyone says he is not a natural goalscorer, not likely to make a goal for himself, and offers little. He works hard, but that isn't enough to clinch promotion imho.
A bit worrying that Parkes seems to have lost a bit of form.
Thought that Sir Matt could have brought on Ajose with 30 minutes to go, not 15.
We've got to win our 3 home games this month and one of our away games (Macca), otherwise we get devoured by the pack

Last edited:

Ash

Regarding Bowman, as I implied before the game I didn't think he should have started, Taylor seems incapable of dropping him though, why ?

When he's at it he is a very good team player who leads the line very well, for whatever reason he has stopped doing that recently, his body language has been poor and he looks unhappy about something.

I think it's time to give Fisher and Ajose a run together, I think they are our best finishers, Taylor needs to select a pairing and give them a run, he cannot keep chopping and changing week in week out.

One other thing, our final ball is often shocking, we miss Sparkes crossing so much.
What is it with you and Fisher? You must have seen something I never have - even when he got those 3 goals in 5 or 6 games, I was never particularly impressed with his performances. As someone on here once wrote, he looks like a port man's Bowman.

Legohead

Banned
Just had a look at the remaining fixtures and other than Argyle, Cobblers and Cheltenham away and Bradford at home it's pretty favourable. That makes me feel a bit better after the last 2 games. Lots of games we should be winning from here on in and will need to in order to get automatic.

thermopylai

A vast improvement on the 2nd half on Tuesday. But in the second half we had most of the play, but barely a clear goal-scoring opportunity. And that is the problem.

I have a horrible feeling it might be the play-offs again. And then you know who at Wembley. Don't think my nerves could take that...

Red faced

I have always stuck up for Bowman ie he tries hard, he's a handful , he's physical etc etc but he just isnt good enough - 12 goals? well i would bloody hope so - he playes every game, he never ever comes off , plays infromt of Law and RW and is our main striker - he gets so much of the ball but he just isnt good enough. He virtually tripped over the ball in the middle when he should have at least tested the keeper in the 6 yard box, his 2 volleyed efforts in each half were literally laughable and he gets booked and gives away a lot of free kicks from leaning into defenders.

I dont think he lost us the game today but i would love to see us play Ajose & Martin and give Bowman a break - as someone else said there are certain team he would do ok against there just isnt many of them!

I did find it interesting how so many of the Swindon fans on various forums berated Newport for their tactics, yet in the 2nd half there was rarely a ball boy in sight and their keeper was runing the clock down from the 46th minute. their time wasting tactics were so blatant and the ref just let it all happen.

we did give it a right go in the second half but Beaten by the better side - adapted to the wind better than us - and our final ball and crosses were generally poor. They saw the game out in a way that we never seem to be able to at home against average teams.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fans want the players to show heart, yet after a brief dip in what has been a fantastic season, the whiners all come out. Bowman's useless, blah, blah.. Rubbish going forward, blah blah... We're in danger of being caught be teams below us, blah blah. How about you show a bit of heart yourselves, eh? We've had a fantastic season.

crocks

"Clear hand ball" in the build-up my arse!! Just because a few of the players tried it on its definite. No way can a handball be seen on the iFollow footage. Theres always some reason to suggest we've been hard done by!
I was at the game. There was no doubt it was handball....

fred binneys head

We’ll be fine for the automatics, I’m still confident. February is a lot easier than January, we’ll win the next three and everything will be back on track.

When we play argyle we’ll be on a good run and they will be wobbling, and we’ll win 2-0. You can remind me of this at the end of March.