• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Grant too. Although I don’t think many were fussed about him.
No that was funny! We had Watkins and Wheeler when rumours came in that Slime were taking one of our strikers...Joel Grant!.😄

Antony Moxey

All the examples you quote are situations which normal citizens have to deal with some time in their life.
It's not exactly a hardship to move to Exeter on 2000 quid a week. Millions of blokes would love that option
Footballers are often on the move : it goes with the territory. They have a lot of advantages in their life : having to move hardly outweighs that.
If course moving is a factor, but it's just one of many.
So I don't withdraw my comment at all. I didn't say I thought most posters were stupid : I thought they were just wrong. I will accept your apology for misrepresenting me.
An interesting supposition. I do wonder how accurate it is - personally I know only a handful of people who currently live and work more than a couple of hundred miles from their place of work and whilst two large a week isn’t to be sniffed at, I’m not sure it’s be enough for me to uproot my family and move to the other end of the country for potentially two years at best. But, I guess, as you allude, such is the life of a professional footballer.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
All the examples you quote are situations which normal citizens have to deal with some time in their life.

It's not exactly a hardship to move to Exeter on 2000 quid a week. Millions of blokes would love that option

Footballers are often on the move : it goes with the territory. They have a lot of advantages in their life : having to move hardly outweighs that.

If course moving is a factor, but it's just one of many.
I guess the difference is that a footballer might be wanted by five or six different clubs in different parts of the country, all prepared to pay similar wages. It's unlikely us normal folk will have multiple offers. The footballer might prioritise the offer that's closest to his current location, which usually isn't us.

Boyo

I guess the difference is that a footballer might be wanted by five or six different clubs in different parts of the country, all prepared to pay similar wages. It's unlikely us normal folk will have multiple offers. The footballer might prioritise the offer that's closest to his current location.
Exactly this. When there's a choice between moving halfway across the country or staying put, then it's easy to understand why many would choose the latter. If a the player's only option was to move half way across the country then that's a different story.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
It should also be noted that to those closer to (or in) metropolitan areas, distance becomes relative and what may not seem too onerous to Devon folk would be ridiculous to those from the big cities.

On a loosely related note, I remember one year a Walsall fan on a forum bemoaning their lack of local games that season and how much travelling he'd have to do - it was gently pointed out that Walsall placed comfortably 24th in the division in terms of miles travelled.

Banksy

Sorry Indo I was wrong.Seemingly none today.
0BB339E7-06E1-4919-9C9A-34C814951752.jpeg

Pobbop

And I think that Mike feels that 'posters' are stupid and insultingly implies so.

No, we're not stupid, and the suggestion that anyone who refers to location thinks footballers are wimps is hugely wide of the mark.

Of course loads of footballers frequently move hundreds of miles (see Stockley with two baby daughters going Bournemouth -loads of loans-Exeter-Aberdeen-Exeter-Preston-Charlton - and Caallum Rowe on trial in Scotland)

But location can be a significant factor. Moving 'a couple of hundred miles down the motorway' rules out a daily commute. A player with commitments (school run, wife's job) is offered two otherwise identical contracts . One with a club where he doesn't have to move , he can still do the school run, the kids don't have to say goodbye to their friends. The other where he faces the choice of uprooting his family and renting out his house or being away from family most of the week , renting a new property etc. In those circumstances there is a serious possibility that the player will choose the option that doesn't involve the hundreds of miles.
Agreed, on all your salient points.

Wasn't there a thread started about this last year, when the argument got ridiculously tedious, and spread through all transfer stuff.

iscalad

It should also be noted that to those closer to (or in) metropolitan areas, distance becomes relative and what may not seem too onerous to Devon folk would be ridiculous to those from the big cities.

On a loosely related note, I remember one year a Walsall fan on a forum bemoaning their lack of local games that season and how much travelling he'd have to do - it was gently pointed out that Walsall placed comfortably 24th in the division in terms of miles travelled.
Ben Purrington, lives West Clyst, has signed for Ross Couny, somewhere in the Highlands of Scotland.

iscalad

Ocean Latto has joined the ladies team.

Spoonz Red E

Ocean Latto has joined the ladies team.
Ocean Latto - Torquay Utd > ECFC
Mia Preston - ECFC > Torquay Utd