• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread

budegrecian

Behave !!!!what have you been smoking?!!!

Buster, Dazza, Nicky Marker, Bobby Saxton, Tony Kellow , Russ Coughlin, Reuben Reid ,etc Most of these are City Legends , and their Legendary status hasn't been diminished because they once played for argyle

I don't discriminate where any City player comes from or who they played for in the past , as soon as they put on that City Shirt they have my 100% support and I think I speak for most Grecian Fans in that respect!!!!
I think Sturtz is suggesting what our reaction would be if we had 7 ex PAFC at the same time playing for us.
Also Buster and Nicky Marker played for them after leaving us, so don’t fit the criteria.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Behave !!!!what have you been smoking?!!!

Buster, Dazza, Nicky Marker, Bobby Saxton, Tony Kellow , Russ Coughlin, Reuben Reid ,etc Most of these are City Legends , and their Legendary status hasn't been diminished because they once played for argyle

I don't discriminate where any City player comes from or who they played for in the past , as soon as they put on that City Shirt they have my 100% support and I think I speak for most Grecian Fans in that respect!!!!
I’d suggest maybe only Kellow and Rowbotham are true City legends from that list, with Phillips’ status certainly being diminished after he ran the length of the Shed kissing the badge on his shirt after scoring for them. And Rueben Reid? Please…

STURTZ

Who was last to move directly between clubs? Jamie Mackie must have been 10 years back and Buster Phillips? That went down well didn't it...

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Joel Grant, I suspect.

jimbo-gould

Who was last to move directly between clubs? Jamie Mackie must have been 10 years back and Buster Phillips? That went down well didn't it...
Grant too. Although I don’t think many were fussed about him.

tonykellowfan

Surely we can do better than someone who played a few games on loan for Colchester last season.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Surely we can do better than someone who played a few games on loan for Colchester last season.
I don’t know much about Kenlock but if we’ve identified him as a target, then I’m sure MT and the club must be confident he’d be a good player for us.
He’s played 50 or so Championship games in his career so must have something good about him.

Colesman Ballz

What's wrong with signing players from Colchester ? We signed Jevani from them last summer, and Exeweb's response was underwhelming to say the least. Max pronounced him to be a "Dud", whilst you yourself begrudgingly commented "a decent squad signing l suppose " ! He didn't turnout to be too bad did he ? Dieng arrived after two successive relegations with Southend and similarly has proven to be a stand out player for us.
Have a little more faith in KMT's judgement , it is not where they come from that is important but rather the performance that we can get out of them.

andrew p long

I can't help but feel that posters think our footballers are a bunch of wimps. Jeez ' is moving a couple of hundred miles down the motorway such a wrench. And it's easy to keep in good contact with friends & family via Zoom etc. OK, if you have young kids then you might not be able to leave them with the grandparents, but hundreds of thousands of workers move away from home. There are other alternatives for childcare. I can't imagine that getting to know an area like the South-West is so stressful.
imo for professional footballers it's "have boots, will travel" It's a great life, but like anyone else you might have to make some small sacrifices.
And I think that Mike feels that 'posters' are stupid and insultingly implies so.

No, we're not stupid, and the suggestion that anyone who refers to location thinks footballers are wimps is hugely wide of the mark.

Of course loads of footballers frequently move hundreds of miles (see Stockley with two baby daughters going Bournemouth -loads of loans-Exeter-Aberdeen-Exeter-Preston-Charlton - and Caallum Rowe on trial in Scotland)

But location can be a significant factor. Moving 'a couple of hundred miles down the motorway' rules out a daily commute. A player with commitments (school run, wife's job) is offered two otherwise identical contracts . One with a club where he doesn't have to move , he can still do the school run, the kids don't have to say goodbye to their friends. The other where he faces the choice of uprooting his family and renting out his house or being away from family most of the week , renting a new property etc. In those circumstances there is a serious possibility that the player will choose the option that doesn't involve the hundreds of miles.

IndoMike

And I think that Mike feels that 'posters' are stupid and insultingly implies so.

No, we're not stupid, and the suggestion that anyone who refers to location thinks footballers are wimps is hugely wide of the mark.

Of course loads of footballers frequently move hundreds of miles (see Stockley with two baby daughters going Bournemouth -loads of loans-Exeter-Aberdeen-Exeter-Preston-Charlton - and Caallum Rowe on trial in Scotland)

But location can be a significant factor. Moving 'a couple of hundred miles down the motorway' rules out a daily commute. A player with commitments (school run, wife's job) is offered two otherwise identical contracts . One with a club where he doesn't have to move , he can still do the school run, the kids don't have to say goodbye to their friends. The other where he faces the choice of uprooting his family and renting out his house or being away from family most of the week , renting a new property etc. In those circumstances there is a serious possibility that the player will choose the option that doesn't involve the hundreds of miles.
All the examples you quote are situations which normal citizens have to deal with some time in their life.
It's not exactly a hardship to move to Exeter on 2000 quid a week. Millions of blokes would love that option
Footballers are often on the move : it goes with the territory. They have a lot of advantages in their life : having to move hardly outweighs that.
If course moving is a factor, but it's just one of many.
So I don't withdraw my comment at all. I didn't say I thought most posters were stupid : I thought they were just wrong. I will accept your apology for misrepresenting me.