• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's all down to money. Matt said the playing budget is the same as it was in Lg 2, so presumably we're offering Lg 2 money for Lg 1 players. This is why Matt is looking for loan players : simply because he doesn't have much choice. So I expect two or three loan players to be signed up in the next 2 weeks. There's no doubt Lg 1 is going to be a big challenge, but not an impossible one
Onwards and upwards.
Good luck to Matt and all the players
xxxxxxxx
I agree with this, except that I suspect the arrival of loan players may take a bit longer. I suspect some won't arrive until after the season starts; like Amond last season arriving on 10 August, after he found out he'd been frozen out. And our first loan signing Dawson only arrived 9 days before the season started.

IndoMike

Don’t forget that even though we may have the same budget as last season, we’re only looking to sign 4 or 5 players, versus 11 last summer. So Matt has probably been able to offer slightly better than L2 money.

Sadly though, some clubs can offer stupid money which blows us out of the water regardless.
Yes, but several players left, too, to allow the several newcomers to be signed.
Regardless, it is indeed the stupid money that does for us.

Grecianpasty

The loan market is the most logical approach. Especially as we have Lee, Pond and Cox who will force there way into the first team either this or next year.

Bournemouth have some very good young strikers who won't get any time in the Premier league. I'm hoping we can pick up a gem there.

IndoMike

I trust Matt Taylor so I’m not stressed about the lack of signings one bit. Simple.
Did someone say they didn't trust, Matt? It would be a bit absurd not to after we missed out on being Champions of Lg 2 by a whisker.
The issue is having to compete with clubs which theoretically have more money to splash out, which of course Matt can do nothing about.

Red Devon

The loan market is the most logical approach. Especially as we have Lee, Pond and Cox who will force there way into the first team either this or next year.

Bournemouth have some very good young strikers who won't get any time in the Premier league. I'm hoping we can pick up a gem there.
I think Matt Taylor learnt an awful lot last season in the value of top quality loan signings like Cameron Dawson in fact I think he even said so himself, it’s looking increasingly likely that it’s the way he wants to go this year too.

ExmouthMart

I think Matt Taylor learnt an awful lot last season in the value of top quality loan signings like Cameron Dawson in fact I think he even said so himself, it’s looking increasingly likely that it’s the way he wants to go this year too.
Thats probably the way it will go but I’d imagine he would have liked to have been in a position to say offer Telford for example a three year deal on top wages like Crawley. I read somewhere they have a £4m budget! Nice while it lasts…..

geoffwp

Did someone say they didn't trust, Matt? It would be a bit absurd not to after we missed out on being Champions of Lg 2 by a whisker.
The issue is having to compete with clubs which theoretically have more money to splash out, which of course Matt can do nothing about.
I didnt read anything in fbh's post that needed challenging mike, in fact I find myself in agreement with the attitude so no concerns or worries here either.

Grecian Max

It’s going to be frustrating for a while yet I reckon but Taylor has proved in multiple seasons now that his recruitment is pretty good overall.

I don’t really know what to expect having been out of League 1 for a sustained amount of time whereas League 2 signings were easier to assess. We struggled last time we went up but we had a large contingent of essentially good Conference players whereas this time I think MT recruited half a league 1 side already.

The GK is one we absolutely have to get right given how we played last season so once that’s sorted I’ll feel a bit more confident. Is a bit boring not signing anyone whilst pretty much every other team does but that’s life

Red Devon

Thats probably the way it will go but I’d imagine he would have liked to have been in a position to say offer Telford for example a three year deal on top wages like Crawley. I read somewhere they have a £4m budget! Nice while it lasts…..
Would also hope for someone with bags and bags of experience at League One level or above just to keep things nice and steady should the situation arise.

sign of the chimes

It’s going to be frustrating for a while yet I reckon but Taylor has proved in multiple seasons now that his recruitment is pretty good overall.

I don’t really know what to expect having been out of League 1 for a sustained amount of time whereas League 2 signings were easier to assess. We struggled last time we went up but we had a large contingent of essentially good Conference players whereas this time I think MT recruited half a league 1 side already.

The GK is one we absolutely have to get right given how we played last season so once that’s sorted I’ll feel a bit more confident. Is a bit boring not signing anyone whilst pretty much every other team does but that’s life
I know most teams have at least one player through the door in L1 but in many cases that's it so far. I think it's indicative of a pretty flat market overall and suspect that unless recruitment teams are absolutley intent on securing a particular player on their list (rather than any of those from the usual recruitment short/long lists that clubs have these days), that there will be potential for some really good value later in the window.

Aside from replacing Dawson (as you mention) the rest is about augmenting a squad that got you promoted and should have enough about them to keep you competitive in L1. It's not the rebuild that often has to take place in a summer window - so leaves MT in a pretty good position as there will be decent players available on either permanent or loan deals who will be asking for much more modest terms in a few weeks time than they were a couple of weeks ago. Of course, it relies on recruiting the right players; but he's doing it from a position of strength and, from the outside, it seems as though he's had more hits than misses during his time in charge - as you say.