• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not sure best place to put this (mods feel free to move as appropriate) but a very thoughtful piece here by Hereford's Josh Bowling.
Although pitched at non-league level I feel it has particular resonance with City too, not only about the poaching of academy prospects but also, to an extent, in general transfer dealings for clubs of our size.

Memphis09

Flacky was and is a city legend. Loved flacky, me.
Good servant just not a good player

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure best place to put this (mods feel free to move as appropriate) but a very thoughtful piece here by Hereford's Josh Bowling.
Although pitched at non-league level I feel it has particular resonance with City too, not only about the poaching of academy prospects but also, to an extent, in general transfer dealings for clubs of our size.
More than a resonance - this is our Grecian experience from the "bullying big boys" eg Ampadu, Jay Stansfield etc.
Academy clubs like us need support / protection to continue providing international stars of the future for the good of football generally

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
More than a resonance - this is our Grecian experience from the "bullying big boys" eg Ampadu, Jay Stansfield etc.
Academy clubs like us need support / protection to continue providing international stars of the future for the good of football generally
What was the deal for Jay Stansfield?

Pete Martin (CTID)

Good servant just not a good player
Yet he averaged around 10 goals a season over a 10 year period. Not that bad either.

Red Devon

What about goalkeeper Alex Smithies set to be released by Cardiff at 32 years old, only a suggestion?

Ash

Yet he averaged around 10 goals a season over a 10 year period. Not that bad either.
In a team that was mostly, absolute *****.

Bridgy 81

I see Charlie Austin has been released by QPR.
He was halfway through a 2 year contract there but the second I understand was dependent on him playing over a specific number of matches this season, which he didn’t do.
That said he did feature in over 30 league games, quite a few of those from the bench though I think.
He’s obviously been paid Premier League and Championship wages for many seasons but he’ll be 33 in July and if he has any interest in developing a coaching/managerial career he maybe up for a role passing on his experience to Sam and our other incoming striker/s whilst being more than handy as a player still, either with or occasionally instead of Sam or maybe coming on as a sub for 30 minutes or so.
I realize this is unlikely but he seems to have had a fairly nomadic career in terms of playing for various clubs in different parts of the country including, albeit a while ago, Poole, Swindon and more recently Southampton, so let’s hope he also enjoyed living in South and West and fancies a return for a year or two on reasonable terms!

Cowshed Grecian

He was halfway through a 2 year contract there but the second I understand was dependent on him playing over a specific number of matches this season, which he didn’t do.
That said he did feature in over 30 league games, quite a few of those from the bench though I think.
He’s obviously been paid Premier League and Championship wages for many seasons but he’ll be 33 in July and if he has any interest in developing a coaching/managerial career he maybe up for a role passing on his experience to Sam and our other incoming striker/s whilst being more than handy as a player still, either with or occasionally instead of Sam or maybe coming on as a sub for 30 minutes or so.
I realize this is unlikely but he seems to have had a fairly nomadic career in terms of playing for various clubs in different parts of the country including, albeit a while ago, Poole, Swindon and more recently Southampton, so let’s hope he also enjoyed living in South and West and fancies a return for a year or two on reasonable terms!
He’s good mates with Barton. I reckon Bristol Rovers might be more of a shout. I couldn’t see him coming to City,but it’s an interesting take, I reckon he would certainly bang in some goals at L1 level.

sign of the chimes

He's from Hungerford I think, Bridgy. You'd hope that the fact he started in the pro game quite late would make him hungry to carry on playing for a bit, as often seems to be the case. He looks like a Karl Robinson for Oxford type signing to me - but no idea if they're in the market for a striker (or whether KR will be in charge at the Kassam next season)...