• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread

Memphis09

Say whatever you want on Exeweb...

...unless it's derogatory against Sir Steve Flack.
Ha ha you are funny

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Absolutely!

I felt the hype around the 'marquee signings' last season was ridiculous. MT touched on it on his promotion interview yesterday, people's expectations of what ECFC can afford/attract are so unrealistic.
The fact is that Matt himself hyped things up quite a lot and he himself spoke about "marquee " signings, so of course many fans went along with that. Now the signings he made turned out to be excellent signings for City, but at the time no way would they be classified as "marquee". I'm sure Matt has learnt a
lesson from that. But it's a bit rich that some on here are criticising fans when all they did was to take at face value what Matt said.

fred binneys head

Flacky was and is a city legend. Loved flacky, me.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Would find it very strange for a club like Bradford with the money they have to be interested in a 35 year old? Perhps a story planted by his agent as part of the negotiation process with us as maybe Matt has only offered a 6 month deal?

Red Devon

Would find it very strange for a club like Bradford with the money they have to be interested in a 35 year old? Perhps a story planted by his agent as part of the negotiation process with us as maybe Matt has only offered a 6 month deal?
This account only has 3 followers

manc grecian

One of whom is Jonathan Grounds agent

Red Devon

One of whom is Jonathan Grounds agent
Hants must be one of the others :ROFLMAO:

Gilbert

Various sources have us interested along with Bradford and Stockport with Barnsley out of contract striker George Miller

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The fact is that Matt himself hyped things up quite a lot and he himself spoke about "marquee " signings, so of course many fans went along with that. Now the signings he made turned out to be excellent signings for City, but at the time no way would they be classified as "marquee". I'm sure Matt has learnt a
lesson from that
. But it's a bit rich that some on here are criticising fans when all they did was to take at face value what Matt said.
Matt Taylor admitted as much in the recent end-of-season debrief video. However, take out the endlessly discussed word 'marquee' and the rest of the interview was clear, if surprisingly bold - 'we will have a bigger budget next season and I want to sign 3 or 4 players who I feel can make a real difference on the pitch.'
The reaction by some fans was always going to be over-the-top but it was understandable that there might be some doubts when the players who would go on to make such a difference were
- a keeper being loaned out to boost his confidence
- a midfielder who had just experienced back-to-back relegations
- a creative player who couldn't get in the Colchester team
- a talented but unproven striker