• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
So we were o.k. at left back then?🙄

Actually think we should have persevered with Rowe, his midfield performances looked promising.
The point being Sturtz is that when you counted up the available midfielders at the start of last season you wouldn't have counted Rowe in that head count. We do obviously need cover for Taylor until he regains his fitness so getting somebody in to cover him I would agree with but another one for Rowe............. nah.
As to whether we should have persevered with Rowe, tough call. He certainly had a little bit about him but whether he had enough was open to debate.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Neither Rowe or Taylor really had an impact on our season so if we could get 1 good midfielder to replace those 2 then we'd be stronger.

Red Monster

Ok here we go finally some news on a rumour!

we have made loan offers for Azaz, Bishop and Longstaff! Heard awaiting parent clubs to decide what’s best for players development
Sheffield Wednesday are interested in Longstaffe but they don’t
how much they would have to contribute to his 20k a week.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sheffield Wednesday are interested in Longstaffe but they don’t
how much they would have to contribute to his 20k a week.
Well its not like Newcastle are strapped for cash so perhaps they'll release longstaffe on loan at minimal cost to the borrowing club. If Wednesday are genuinely interested in him then due to location and size of club we have no chance. No harm in asking though.

grecIAN Harris

Neither Rowe or Taylor really had an impact on our season so if we could get 1 good midfielder to replace those 2 then we'd be stronger.
Taylor didn't get the opportunity. When he does I think he will KMT a big headache as to who he is going to play in midfield.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well if there’s genuine interest in Azaz, it’ll be a while before a decision is made on his future as Villa are currently on their way down under.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I believe the approach Matt is taking is the right one. Better to wait for the right fit than rush in just to fill numbers. In the worse case scenario if all the targets fall through I'm sure there will be one or two released non contract players available who could do a short term job for us. Anyway when Amps is sold for a kings fortune and Nombe leaves for ÂŁ1.5M in January we will be awash with cash :)

jrg333

From what MT has said it seems like most of these signings will be loans, although I would expect at least one signing to be a permanent one.
I'll be really disappointed if, after all the money we've recouped in the past two seasons, we only end up making one permanent signing in a promotion season. It's a young squad and we've had some very successful loan signings but still, we need a few to come in on permanent deals to create more competition here. Unlikely we'll loan anyone with significant league experience so I would really hope we're targeting at least a couple of 'marquee' out of contract Championship/League One players.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'll be really disappointed if, after all the money we've recouped in the past two seasons, we only end up making one permanent signing in a promotion season. It's a young squad and we've had some very successful loan signings but still, we need a few to come in on permanent deals to create more competition here. Unlikely we'll loan anyone with significant league experience so I would really hope we're targeting at least a couple of 'marquee' out of contract Championship/League One players.
Prepare to be disappointed :)

Grecian Max

Prepare to be disappointed :)
I agree with him, would be a pretty shocking state of affairs. Feels like we missed out on a load and now being fed the line that the plan was to get last minute loans all along - I don’t believe that given Taylor’s previous 4 pre seasons.

2 weeks ago I was giving the benefit of the doubt, MT has got us here after all. But 2 weeks to go we are very very light in my opinion. Nombe gets injured we are stuffed. Sell him in Jan? We’d go straight back down.

It’s been a bad window so far but we cant fully judge until it’s closed. What I would say is thank god we have what is a a relatively straight forward start…

Last edited: