• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread 2023

cambmike

Same four £1.85m up front
A lot of our success has been built on selling players notably Grimes £1.75 million and Watkins £1.8 million plus loads of add ons. There is a danger that being in League 1 there will be less opportunities for academy players to break through - could Kite and Diabete have less opportunities with the new signings for instance. Will we then have to rein in our spending?

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
I dread to think how many posts this thread will have come September of this year!

More pages than the complete works of Shakespeare...Craig Shakespeare anyone?
Tempted to say let’s get this season over first. I’m sure Gary will do o.k in the summer looking at what he’s achieved this window.Que sera sera and all that.

DawlishBouy

All this talk of the tribunal fee for Key, what considerations will be taken into account after the January window has now closed and although two clubs were interested in him but didn't meet our valuation of him which presumably was lower than the purported £1m (total) offered by Sunderland a couple of seasons ago or was it?.
The factors involved in deciding the compensation fee by The Professional Football Compensation Committee (PFCC):
Status of the selling club.
Status of the buying club.
Age of the player.
Length of time the player has been at the selling club.
Players salary at selling club.
The terms of the contracts offered to the player by both clubs.
The players career record (first team appearances, international call ups)
Interest shown by other clubs is taken into consideration. *
The committee "as far as possible attempt to reach a decision by a logical and attributable process using precedents and all available information"
Each club provide evidence to support their valuation of the player.

In the case of Key and Collins these factors are quite favourable to City.

* The size of the fees turned down by City will have a bearing on the compensation fees awarded.

Colesman Ballz

A lot of our success has been built on selling players notably Grimes £1.75 million and Watkins £1.8 million plus loads of add ons. There is a danger that being in League 1 there will be less opportunities for academy players to break through - could Kite and Diabete have less opportunities with the new signings for instance. Will we then have to rein in our spending?
Hitherto we have sold players proven at Lge 2 based on their potential to play at a higher level. The difference now is that we will be selling players already proven at Lge 1 level which enhances their values. Ergo if we ever make it into the Championship that will increase their value again accordingly. There may be a reduction in numbers able to achieve this but the returns will be greater.
We must never ignore the importance of our Academy, both as a source of income or providing players for ourselves. It is the fundamental bedrock of our current success. Never in my lifetime of supporting City did I expect to see a squad which week in, week out, featured upto 7 starters (with even more on the bench), that were "home produced". It is an astonishing achievement. UTC !

Last edited:

Grecian Max

Hitherto we have sold players proven at Lge 2 based on their potential to play at a higher level. The difference now is that we will be selling players already proven at Lge 1 level which enhances their values. Ergo if we ever make it into the Championship that will increase their value again accordingly. There may be a reduction in numbers able to achieve this but the returns will be greater.
We must never ignore the importance of our Academy, both as a source of income or providing players for ourselves. It is the fundamental bedrock of our current success. Never in my lifetime of supporting City did I expect to see a squad which week in, week out, featured upto 7 starters (with even more on the bench), that were "home produced". It is an astonishing achievement. UTC !
This is a good way to look at it, certainly any young players playing regularly at League 1 are going to have added 20/30%+ to their value v L2.

I do think though that the numbers getting into the first team will reduce - for instance I believe Sonny Cox has what it takes, however it's hard to see him get lots of game time in League 1 as it stands. One way to improve things would be to loan out more regularly at a higher level than Conference South, however I think that means they can't train with us as the majority of sides are full-time. Not necessarily a bad thing, just some adjustments up a level.

The academy, and the decision to back it as a cornerstone of our ethos has been fantastic. I hope we can be successful at this level following the same methodology.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is a good way to look at it, certainly any young players playing regularly at League 1 are going to have added 20/30%+ to their value v L2.

I do think though that the numbers getting into the first team will reduce - for instance I believe Sonny Cox has what it takes, however it's hard to see him get lots of game time in League 1 as it stands. One way to improve things would be to loan out more regularly at a higher level than Conference South, however I think that means they can't train with us as the majority of sides are full-time. Not necessarily a bad thing, just some adjustments up a level.

The academy, and the decision to back it as a cornerstone of our ethos has been fantastic. I hope we can be successful at this level following the same methodology.
Was saying this the other day - with our first team improving (hopefully), the standard of academy product will have to be high for them to be able to get into the side. We might find ourselves producing/selling less but for more £.

Trapdoor

Collins is surely our most valuable asset no? Maybe Nombe is a close second...

Colesman Ballz

From a purely financial point of view, goal scorers are worth more.

Grecian Max

Nombe worth more due to his contract not being up in the summer, and as CB says he scores goals.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
From a purely financial point of view, goal scorers are worth more.
As a general rule I agree, yet the 2 most expensive premier league transfers are both midfielders.