• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread 2023

Phil Sayers

Very well known Exeweb poster
He didn't seem to get brushed off the ball that easily when he set up a goal against Crawley or when blocking off the defender for to allow Demi to score goal against Carlisle. And anyway, the kid's 18, being played slightly out of position and only starting games because of an injury crisis so maybe we shouldn't be rushing to judgement just yet. It reminds me of the story Gary Caldwell tells about playing for Darlington on loan and getting absolutely battered by Steve Torpey in one of his first games; they lost 7-1 but thankfully no-one wrote him off based on that performance and, having learned a few lessons from the experience, went on to have a pretty good career.
Certainly not writing him off and I have every expectation that he will turn out great - 15 year olds don't score four (IIRC) goals in a game while on trial with Manchester United if there isn't a lot of raw talent there. Just saying that the main thing I think is missing at the moment is physicality (although I take the examples you gave and that is far from uncommonly the main thing missing in someone his age's game) and that I think right now he might benefit from more time in the gym rather than working on technique etc.

Grecianman135

Agreed - he gets in some good positions, works hard and makes decent runs but Seymour did those things too. The main problem with Cox is that he gets brushed off the ball far too easily. He needs to build strength and show a bit more aggression when challenging defenders. Do those things and I think he will turn out great but if not he won't fulfil anything like the potential he was thought to have.
He's been thrown in far too early IMO 🤷‍♂️ needs a good loan somewhere at a comfortable level scoring goals ...

Seymour had the same hype and he fell miles short of expectations,Cox needs time and can't be pushed into the same category as Seymour....

Cox actually looks like a footballer,whereas Seymour often did boggle the mind.

Fact is he needs minutes at a comfortable level and freedom to grow and develop not thrown into league one with an injury crisis some players can adapt quick but most can't.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
He's been thrown in far too early IMO 🤷‍♂️ needs a good loan somewhere at a comfortable level scoring goals ...

Seymour had the same hype and he fell miles short of expectations,Cox needs time and can't be pushed into the same category as Seymour....

Cox actually looks like a footballer,whereas Seymour often did boggle the mind.

Fact is he needs minutes at a comfortable level and freedom to grow and develop not thrown into league one with an injury crisis some players can adapt quick but most can't.
I don’t think Seymour had anywhere near the hype as Cox, certainly not as early on. From him being 15, Cox was talked about as a top talent and that probably hasn’t done him too many favours. I think sometimes we forget he’s 18 and I agree, if he can get regular games on loan at a good level, it’ll do him the world of good, but suspect we’re not in a position to send him out at the moment.

Boyo

Cox is two years younger than Stanno, who of course is still very much in his development, and looked really raw when playing for us, this time last year.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Is Sonny completely over the injury he picked up a short while ago?

Looks like he’s running through treacle, and I don’t remember that when I’ve seen him before now.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think right now he might benefit from more time in the gym rather than working on technique etc.
Funnily enough, on Saturday I thought the opposite was true. Sonny has bulked up an enormous amount since he first played for the first team. Back then he really was too lightweight.

It must take time to adapt your game to carrying more weight. I thought on Saturday there were a couple of times in front of the Bank it looked like he set off to make a run but just looked like he was struggling to get going being bulkier and it being later in the game. From the extended highlights I saw of the first half his movement was much better.

robchave

We always talk about how our academy turns out 'well rounded young men' and I just wonder, sometimes, if we put too much emphasis on them being so 'nice'. An effective striker needs to have a bit of a mean, selfish streak. Watching Sonny, it always looks as if he's being a bit deferential to the older players. Jay Stansfield, on the other hand, seemed prepared to 'get stuck in' and was not adverse to 'sticking a foot in' occasionally. I feel that , having bulked-up, Sonny needs to put himself about a bit and add some aggression to his game. He needs to create chances rather than wait for them to drop.
Be as nice as you can, Sonny - but off the pitch!

Reactions: WXF

tom_ecfc

Whatever happened to Isaac Vassell?
Rocking up training for Bristol Rovers it seems…

1706912473552.png

wiveygrecian

Whatever happened to Isaac Vassell?
I recall it being mentioned on here last summer that he was training with us with a potential view to signing.
But that obviously never happened and I can’t see where else he went to play.
Perhaps he retired early due to injuries?
He’s just signed today for Bath City

Bridgy 81

He’s just signed today for Bath City
Bath are going well in the NLS too.
4th and with games in hand over two of the teams infront of them.
Yeovil have broken away at the top though.