• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sue Barker replaced on Question of Sport

Dannyred

I have really enjoyed watching this show over the years and think Sue Barker is excellent at her job, so it’s disappointing that they are replacing her.

Her replacement Alex Scott is an outstanding football pundit as she was a footballer but this is a light entertainment show and I am not sure.

BBC gone mad.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I have really enjoyed watching this show over the years and think Sue Barker is excellent at her job, so it’s disappointing that they are replacing her.

Her replacement Alex Scott is an outstanding football pundit as she was a footballer but this is a light entertainment show and I am not sure.

BBC gone mad.
Sue Barker was a good tennis player and great doing the Wimbledon coverage, She managed to go on to a light entertainment show, If Alex Scott has got the QOS gig then what's the difference?

Mr Jinx

Too old, too white. The writing was on her wall.

I've just torn another strip off my TV license. I'm sacking Sky soon for exactly the same reason.

DB9

Too old, too white. The writing was on her wall.

I've just torn another strip off my TV license. I'm sacking Sky soon for exactly the same reason.
I just think it's more of an ageism thing, TV is renowned for getting rid once you reach a certain age.

Dannyred

Sue Barker was a good tennis player and great doing the Wimbledon coverage, She managed to go on to a light entertainment show, If Alex Scott has got the QOS gig then what's the difference?
Alex Scott is getting everything going on TV at the moment plus big brands.

DB9

Alex Scott is getting everything going on TV at the moment plus big brands.
Good for her, She is obviously an intelligent woman, Knows her stuff and is very attractive, The last bit is a bit basic but in TV la la land looks do count, Especially for women, The TV people like to think they're all modern and woke but in reality they still go for the good looking person. Plus it looks like shes got a good agent too.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Time will tell whether this was a "tokenism" appointment - I haven't really watched QoS for a few years now, no sleight on the presenter or team captains just that it wasn't really on my radar (especially as it seemed to move all over the schedules).

From what I've seen of Alex Scott she comes across as pretty natural and likeable, so I have an open mind. I would say also that having Isa Guha fronting the BBC's Cricket coverage was clearly done on the basis of her talent and not because she ticked several boxes at once.

DB9

Time will tell whether this was a "tokenism" appointment - I haven't really watched QoS for a few years now, no sleight on the presenter or team captains just that it wasn't really on my radar (especially as it seemed to move all over the schedules).

From what I've seen of Alex Scott she comes across as pretty natural and likeable, so I have an open mind. I would say also that having Isa Guha fronting the BBC's Cricket coverage was clearly done on the basis of her talent and not because she ticked several boxes at once.
Have to agree regarding the cricket lady, Listening to her she really know her stuff.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
And to take your MASSIVELY SEXIST point re: Scott, Guha is very presentable too. The likes of Guha, Ebony Rainford-Brent and Alison Mitchell have been welcome additions to the TMS stable. All are very knowledgeable and come across well in their commentary.

DB9

And to take your MASSIVELY SEXIST point re: Scott, Guha is very presentable too. The likes of Guha, Ebony Rainford-Brent and Alison Mitchell have been welcome additions to the TMS stable. All are very knowledgeable and come across well in their commentary.
TV has always been sexist. Much as there has been decrying the BBC, They really get it right with TMS presenters, When you listen to them it is like being there and their knowledge is second to none.