• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Stumping up

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Saw this on PASOTI and couldn't be arsed to create an account to reply, but thought it raised an interesting issue.

http://www.pasoti.co.uk/talk/viewtopic.php?t=48845

Why do so many football fans feel that owners/directors should just bail out a club? A bloke at my work was talking about someone involved in Wolves (I think) who had put up about £60million of his own money and then said that he would give no more. Apparently fans turned on him, spat at him and generally treated him like sh*t. Considering how much of this blokes own money he had put in I fail to see why the fans thought that they could reasonably expect more. IIRC a similar story developed at Newcastle.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
And at Aston Villa with "Deadly" - he put in squillions yet was always accused of not putting his hands in his pockets.

Strongbow

Well-known Exeweb poster
It pretty much sums up what is fundamentally wrong with football. Was having this conversation with a Bolton fan in work the other day, if every club lived with in its means, then you wouldn't see crisis club after crisis club. However a big part of the problem is the disparity in the money at top in the prem and lower down - if you are running a Championship club there is a very large incentive to gamble on promotion, because of the guaranteed TV rights and parachute payments from just one year at the top level.