• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Strong advice for those going to Plymouth by train

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
Any large groups planning on going down by train tomorrow (especially the Imperial lot) then I would strongly advise AGAINST going down on the 09:28 as it's only a 2 Carriage train and there is a risk not everyone will get on plus it doesn't have a buffet car and it will only cause further problems on the way with other folks trying to get on. The 10:19 has 8 Carriages and over 500 seats and I would strongly recommend getting on that one plus it has a buffet car.

Last edited:

jabba the gut

Any large groups planning on going down by train tomorrow (especially the Imperial lot) then I would strongly advise AGAINST going down on the 09:28 as it's only a 2 Carriage train and there is a risk not everyone will get on plus it doesn't have a buffet car and it will only cause further problems on the way with other folks trying to get on. The 10:19 has 8 Carriages and over 500 seats and I would strongly recommend getting on that one plus it has a buffet car.
???

What do you need a buffet for? It's only an hour or so. Surely half-past nine is late enough to have breakfast before you go?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
???

What do you need a buffet for? It's only an hour or so. Surely half-past nine is late enough to have breakfast before you go?
I suspect "buffet" means "bar" in this context. Though I also suspect said buffet will not be open tomorrow...

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
I suspect "buffet" means "bar" in this context. Though I also suspect said buffet will not be open tomorrow...
Yes buffet car as in refreshments/alcohol etc and I've not heard that particular train being a 'dry train' as it's going from Bristol to Penzance so it cant be made 'dry' for part of the journey.

Last edited:

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes buffet car as in refreshments/alcohol etc and I've not heard that particular train being a 'dry train' as it's going from Bristol to Penzance so it cant be made 'dry' for part of the journey.
Trust me it can, on police advice. Or there can be a "crew change" at Exeter with the next crew coming on at Plymouth. Been there, got the t-shirt.

Incontinentia

This closed buffet car issue is a major worry.

Can anyone suggest a way I could obtain a couple of cans of luke warm Stella, other than by handing an astronomical sum to a First Great Western employee? It's a real conundrum, as I don't think they are available from other vendors.

Devon_Lad

This closed buffet car issue is a major worry.

Can anyone suggest a way I could obtain a couple of cans of luke warm Stella, other than by handing an astronomical sum to a First Great Western employee? It's a real conundrum, as I don't think they are available from other vendors.
You sound like a right barrel of laughs on an away day

rustle

Trust me it can, on police advice. Or there can be a "crew change" at Exeter with the next crew coming on at Plymouth. Been there, got the t-shirt.
Doesn't even need the police, the staff can decide to make it a dry train at any time if they think things are getting too boisterous, and it's up to them to decide what boisterous means.

journeyman

You sound like a right barrel of laughs on an away day
*Tries to resist*

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Anyone know if the bar for away fans at the ground will be serving?