• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Straw in the wind. Billy Sharp assaulted by a fan.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Are they really talking about sending pitch invaders to Rwanda?
What a spiffing idea!

i8cornwall

No, do stay. You have something important to say and it's good to see someone not doing a knee-jerk reaction that so many people are.
Thank you Hants but this really will be my last post regarding this matter and fan behaviour.

I'm not taking away the fact that people who do these things deserve a ban, im sure they would probably agree. In fact those I've met at city who have done stupid things 9 times out of 10 agree they deserve a punishment, take it on the chin and move on with there lives. My gripe is the hysteria that surrounds these events, from my experience the people who do these things have had a moment of madness. Honestly who hasn't done something stupid in there life that they later regret? I know I have.

Again my experience is that these people are normally very intelligent, kind, and normal people who just happened to have a moment of madness for what ever reason. Thankfully City see this and are pretty fair in there approach to bans, they try not to destroy a person life over one digression, mostly I've seen the club hope that it'll set someone on the right track. In the past I've actually seen someone serving a ban still try to pay for his big bank season ticket even though they would miss the season just because they wanted the club they care about to have that money.

A football banning order really does effect someone long after the event, it effects people work, personal life and there future. Again I've no issue with someone getting one but for that person to then be public enemy number is to far for me, ive seen stories of people actually having a breakdown just from post seen in this thread and what has been said on social media.

The things I've seen posted and said about people who have done things at city and football in general is actually a embarrassing, normally by people old enough to know better. I've personally been on the end of this even though I've never done anything wrong. I'm not looking for sympathy but someone coming up to me and my wife while out having dinner and telling me "your a F ing disgrace, F Ing idiot, your not wanted at the club" isn't how i imagined a Saturday evening would turn out during the tisdale saga, I've a nice thick skin and a couldn't careless attitude to events like that but im sure others probably haven't.

Basically people need to engage there brain when it comes to these matters because at the moment a vast majority of people on here aren't, it's really sad to see a club and a fan base that represents everything good about football to then turn into a hysterical mess and basically want blood and OTT punishments when these things happen. I do often wonder what would happen if instead maybe there efforts would be better served in trying to think of why they happen, if there is an option for these things to be done safely and supporting people who have been trying to make a change or supporting the people who have f***ed up.

Alistair20000

I am surprised that some posters appear happy to suggest that the law can be broken or that a bit of it can be ignored or that it’s O.K. to break it if one is celebrating.

Rules and the law and observance of them underpin our society.

Grecian2K

I am surprised that some posters appear happy to suggest that the law can be broken or that a bit of it can be ignored or that it’s O.K. to break it if one is celebrating.
Shouldn't references to "Partygate" be on the Politics thread, Al? 🤔

lamrobhero

Thank you Hants but this really will be my last post regarding this matter and fan behaviour.

I'm not taking away the fact that people who do these things deserve a ban, im sure they would probably agree. In fact those I've met at city who have done stupid things 9 times out of 10 agree they deserve a punishment, take it on the chin and move on with there lives. My gripe is the hysteria that surrounds these events, from my experience the people who do these things have had a moment of madness. Honestly who hasn't done something stupid in there life that they later regret? I know I have.

Again my experience is that these people are normally very intelligent, kind, and normal people who just happened to have a moment of madness for what ever reason. Thankfully City see this and are pretty fair in there approach to bans, they try not to destroy a person life over one digression, mostly I've seen the club hope that it'll set someone on the right track. In the past I've actually seen someone serving a ban still try to pay for his big bank season ticket even though they would miss the season just because they wanted the club they care about to have that money.

A football banning order really does effect someone long after the event, it effects people work, personal life and there future. Again I've no issue with someone getting one but for that person to then be public enemy number is to far for me, ive seen stories of people actually having a breakdown just from post seen in this thread and what has been said on social media.

The things I've seen posted and said about people who have done things at city and football in general is actually a embarrassing, normally by people old enough to know better. I've personally been on the end of this even though I've never done anything wrong. I'm not looking for sympathy but someone coming up to me and my wife while out having dinner and telling me "your a F ing disgrace, F Ing idiot, your not wanted at the club" isn't how i imagined a Saturday evening would turn out during the tisdale saga, I've a nice thick skin and a couldn't careless attitude to events like that but im sure others probably haven't.

Basically people need to engage there brain when it comes to these matters because at the moment a vast majority of people on here aren't, it's really sad to see a club and a fan base that represents everything good about football to then turn into a hysterical mess and basically want blood and OTT punishments when these things happen. I do often wonder what would happen if instead maybe there efforts would be better served in trying to think of why they happen, if there is an option for these things to be done safely and supporting people who have been trying to make a change or supporting the people who have f***ed up.
There is nothing that you have said that I would disagree with. I do not agree with fences. I do not agree with draconian punishment.
For myself I spent 40 years NOT watching football because I had reached the conclusion that it was unpleasant and dangerous. What got me the most was that nobody took repsonsibility and nobody cared. When the tragedies that have happened happened I was shocked and not surprised. Also after those tragedies there were those in football who tried to make out it was nothing to do with football. The situation has improved but in my opinion there is still some way to go and to fail to recognise that would be a big mistake.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Rules and the law and observance of them underpin our society.
I don't believe anyone is saying that. We're talking about proportionate responses.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
In response to @i8cornwall it's really good to hear that our community club helps out errant youngsters. Ruining your life at 14 for a moment of bravado in front of your mates doesn't need to be something to take through the rest of your life.

Alistair20000

Shouldn't references to "Partygate" be on the Politics thread, Al? 🤔
I have had my say about all that on the said thread.

Some of the posts on this thread by those who appear to suggest it is O.K. to break the law could easily have been made by Bunter.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I have had my say about all that on the said thread.

Some of the posts on this thread by those who appear to suggest it is O.K. to break the law could easily have been made by Bunter.
What laws are people saying it's okay to break?

geoffwp

What laws are people saying it's okay to break?
Well, I guess the hundreds of fans who ran onto the pitches in recent games seemed to think it was ok. Perhaps more education is needed. Perhaps clubs need to make a particular point about doing that, through signage and tannoy announcements? Or do we simply keep ignoring the transgression while hoping it wont lead to a problem?