• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Stevenage game

Boyo

Looking at the fixture list, there’s a possibility this game could be rescheduled for January 19 it would set up one of those unusual double headers of playing the same team twice in four days in consecutive matches...way back when I think the same thing happened with two games versus Rotherham with completely contrasting results.
In the 15/16 season we played Carlisle at SJP on the last day of the season. We then played Carlisle away and home in the playoffs. We then lost to Blackpool at Wembley. Our first game the following season was also Carlisle. We played them 4 out of 5 games on the spin, but they actually played us 4 out of 4!!! I think that’s all right, but I’m doubting myself!

Reactions: WXF

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
In the 15/16 season we played Carlisle at SJP on the last day of the season. We then played Carlisle away and home in the playoffs. We then lost to Blackpool at Wembley. Our first game the following season was also Carlisle. We played them 4 out of 5 games on the spin, but they actually played us 4 out of 4!!! I think that’s all right, but I’m doubting myself!
I make you right on that...one of the Rotherham matches was in the the League Cup but both played at Millmoor..A 4:1 win in the cup followed by a 4:0 defeat in the league...I think there may have been a similar combination of games with Barnet back in the 90s.

grecIAN Harris

We went through a spell during the Championship season where we playing a team from Watling Street nearly every week. We played Dartford away and then home in the Cup, Maidstone in the league up there and then Maidstone away and then home in the cup. It would surprise me if we played them in the LDV in that period also.

Corey

The first 3 were in the 16/17 season, and our opening day victory at home to Carlisle was 18/19, Matt Taylor’s first game, so they were a year apart.

grecianstew

My memory maybe malfunctioning, but I’m sure back in the early 60’s we used to play Torquay home and away Good Friday and Easter Monday

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Will now take place on Tuesday 2nd February with a 7pm kick off.

denzel

Will now take place on Tuesday 2nd February with a 7pm kick off.
Three days after a trip to Carlisle. Who decides on this?

andrew p long

Three days after a trip to Carlisle. Who decides on this?
A very convenient outcome for Stevenage. A well timed Covid crisis for them.

The close stacking of fixtures is now, I think, a consequence of the ludicrous decision to try to finish this season as early as 8 May (having started weeks late and is now sprouting numerous Covid and weather postponements)

The consequence is, I suspect, a rule that postponed fixtures must be played as soon as there is a free midweek date, so as to seek to avoid a fixture pile up in March/April. But rearranging games for mid winter at the peak of a pandemic renders them very likely to be postponed again. Time now to grasp the nettle and extend the season.

Red Devon

The close stacking of fixtures is now, I think, a consequence of the ludicrous decision to try to finish this season as early as 8 May (having started weeks late and is now sprouting numerous Covid and weather postponements)

The consequence is, I suspect, a rule that postponed fixtures must be played as soon as there is a free midweek date, so as to seek to avoid a fixture pile up in March/April. But rearranging games for mid winter at the peak of a pandemic renders them very likely to be postponed again. Time now to grasp the nettle and extend the season.
Agree with what you’re saying about the extension, but isn’t there a possibility that some teams could get lucky and not have many more postponements and finish their season on May 8 while others could have four or five rearranged fixtures to play beyond that date.