• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Steve Perryman tonight

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
I just found Tisdale hard to like, Tisdale would've understood, he didn't particularly like the fanbase either.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Never understood the hatred from the word go tbh. Jealousy perhaps at their achievements in the football world.
Me neither hate is a self destructive emotion which ends up destroying the individual.

Northern Red

I honestly think Steve Perryman got frustrated over the years by the way the club was poorly run.

He was a big catch for our club and will be a a big loss.

I think his book will be an interesting read.

malcolms

Surely, PT was the cliché, a parody of himself....

geoffwp

malc. did you write psychedelic rock music in the 60's?

DanceMagnet

Mostly Blues, I think.

Grecian2K

Really not sure re: Perryman aside from Exeweb rumours around "expenses" when he came in.

With Tis:

He was third choice (out of three) amongst the supporters behind a "club legend" and someone who had recently achieved promotion from the Conference, so he started off somewhat behind the curve.
He's not a SHOUTY tracksuit manager (PASSHUN!!!!).
We drew a load of games first up, so took a while for fans to see results and therefore warm to him.
When he talks, he doesn't talk in clichés.

So from the outset there was a suspicion around him, and a number of people never took to him - and even now are slow to credit him with any of the achievements of the club, to whit:

"He inherited Inglethorpe's squad" (Which had just finished in our lowest ever position playing bloody awful Football. And it didn't include the likes of Taylor, Edwards, Harley etc.)
"It was his assistants, like Russell Osman and Rob Edwards, who brought us glory" (Who appointed these assistants?)
"Many of his signings were rubbish" (Name a manager with a 100% signing record. Even many of Sir Alex Ferguson's signings were rubbish, and look at Mourinho's record on that score)
Bleddy WELL SAID, old bean. It's not often we agree but, on this occasion, I salute you sirrah!!! (And, before the usual suspects from the "glee club" form a circular firing squad I would point out that I do regularly trim my toenails)

Tis, despite his peccadillos, was the "Games Teacher" who dragged us back up from the middle of the Conference back into the League.

Still, the hapless, hopeless club executive have now replaced him with a "Southern League Oil Tanker" who helped lead the recovery and (now) is brave enough to accept the poison chalice of the succession.

And, as for S.P. Is his passion because, despite it all, he actually cares, rather than merely carps from the sidelines. The old canard about his (and the rest's) remunerations are old news - and, I suspect, often inflated by Arizonan exchange rates. Indeed, even at the time that Ball 64 rescued us from almost certain oblivion a certain former Grecian (who may well have moved in a more NORTHERLY direction) often fulminating about the unsubstantiated rumours about how the club was being creamed.

Ironic that, a decade on, with careful stewarding and nurturing, the club is (within it's inevitably) limited means and capacity, probably in one of the healthiest states in its history.

So, please, perhaps just a little bit of credit where its due for the last fifteen years. Or perhaps the moaners might prefer to sod off down the A380 and try to rescue their dreamy-dreams down at PainMorgue?

Grecian2K

Possibly. But I fear that, after an early Genesis he seemed to lose his Focus in the mid 70s. Perhaps they thought him too much of a Yes man?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Possibly. But I fear that, after an early Genesis he seemed to lose his Focus in the mid 70s. Perhaps they thought him too much of a Yes man?
Was he an early Byrd?

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Word on the street is SP got Mr Yates & Mr le Milliere mixed up...:D
Like when Milan signed Luther Blissett instead of John Barnes?