• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Statistics and Club History

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Fred was a very popular player, not just for his goal scoring, but also for his wholehearted commitment. He wasn't that quick, and he didn't do trickery, but he was a highly effective front man. And a natural goal scorer. I remember him more as a second striker playing off a taller partner, than an out-and-out centre forward. I am thinking he partnered John Wingate a lot, but I might be wrong.

Mentioning 'wholehearted commitment', I cannot remember any player trying harder than John Wingate.
Don't remember any other City player kicking a ball harder at that time either. I recall the time at Layer Road when Wingate scored by bursting the ball. He walloped a shot from way out which seemed to be going way over the bar, but as it deflated it dipped over the keeper into the net !

Binney chased every seemingly lost cause, all over the park and was regularly rewarded with a goal for his efforts.

iscalad

Sexton,I don’t think it was £35k,that would have been some ‘wedge’ in 1970 for a 4th Division team..5k rings a bell ?
25k according to Grecian Archive +Lammie and Shirley.

StroudGrecian

Fred was a very popular player, not just for his goal scoring, but also for his wholehearted commitment.
Also as fondly remembered in East Sussex, according to a B&HA friend of mine.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm pretty sure the figure given at the time for Fred's transfer was £5,000.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interestingly on stockley, he has scored 37 in 74 for us, being one every other game. Have we ever had someone so prolific?
In recent times, Jamie Cureton would come close.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wonder how many of Mr Binneys goals were from the penalty spot
From my own recollection very few. In fact whilst my memory may be letting me down I would say that generally at the time he was playing there were fewer penalties awarded than in the modern game.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
A quick count-up gives Fred six league goals from penalties, three each in 1972-73 and 1973-74. Before that, our penalty scorers were John Mitten (until 1971), then Barry Rowan in 1971-72. After Fred's departure, Lammie Robertson was given the job.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just noticed that I'm the third one to do the research! :)

iscalad

Just noticed that I'm the third one to do the research! :)
Better late than never :)

JJ red&white

So is anyone able to pull together what they believe to be the top 10 or 20 ecfc goalscorers? With totals for league, cup and overall total goals?