• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Starting the match

older-codger

Am I to understand that the rules for kick-off have been changed? The rule was always that the ball had to move forward by its circumference before being touched by another player. For years the kick off has not been valid under the rules since the receiving player always stands offside, but never enforced.

Watching the Euros, it would appear that this rule has been changed and on a few occasions, the ball has been hit backwards to the receiving player standing yards behind the kicker.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
How is the receiving player offside? When the ball first kicked every player is in his own half.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's one of the new laws that have been introduced in time for the Euros. The ball can be played in any direction from the kick off.

fred binneys head

How is the receiving player offside? When the ball first kicked every player is in his own half.
Not always, often the receiving player stands a yard into the opponent's half.

But yes, the rule has been changed anyway.

Antony Moxey

But isn't that then the ref's fault for allowing the kick-off to take place? Surely the rule is that when a centre is taken everyone is in their own half.

older-codger

Of course it's the ref's fault, but it always happened. Yet another instance where the rules were not enforced - a bit like shirt pulling in the penalty area that is obvious to all except the officials.