• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Starting line up based on players under contract

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
All this reminds me of the summer before we got promoted. Clearly not quite good enough to improve on what we had so having a good clear out.Whether the shopping trip is as successful as it was then remains to be seen.Initial signs appear to indicate we are concentrating on development (bought in and homegrown), so that continues the clubs long term strategy and shows that Caldwell really has bought into that,he wasn't just trying to say what everyone wanted to hear. I think where we will sink or swim is the quality of the experienced players that come in.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Anyone know who the two other players are who were turning up today as well as 'Lewis'. If they turned up even?

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's really not that many

Key & Collins have run down their contracts and were always going to try a higher level. They were never signing, they've played over 300 games between them already for us. We offered contracts to get compo and were never seriously believing that they would stay.

Grounds was offered a dual coaching/playing contract but didn't fancy it, will probably end up closer to home

McDonald was down here for a few months, the furthest he's ever been from home purely location IMO, although we did only offer a 1 year so perhaps Bradford's 2 year offer was a factor

Hardly think that makes "so many", looks like a very normal summer at an EFL club to me
Yep, when you look t it like that its only 2 players (Grounds and McD) that have turned down contracts. Between them the played about 30 games for City!

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yep, when you look t it like that its only 2 players (Grounds and McD) that have turned down contracts. Between them the played about 30 games for City!
Surely Key and Collins have been offered new contracts.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Surely Key and Collins have been offered new contracts.
Yep, but as Max states we always knew they were leaving this summer, we just needed to offer them contracts as this all gets taken into account at a potential tribunal.

Colesman Ballz

Yep, but as Max states we always knew they were leaving this summer, we just needed to offer them contracts as this all gets taken into account at a potential tribunal.
That doesn't mean that we didn't want them to stay though does it. We offered both improved contracts not just protecting our interests, but also in the hope that they would stay. If other Clubs were able to offer them bigger wages, and the chance to play at a higher level in the Championship, that is just a fact of life.

grecIAN Harris

Diabate gets in for me over Aimson. Obviously not for GC.

Sonny over James Scott.
I think James Scott has some serious work to do over pre season.
Our Fanbase have completely written him off already.
I've just been watching the Day 3 pre-season video and, from a physical point of view, I'd say Scott has done everything you'd want from him. He appears to have put the hard yards in and he looks leaner and, hopefully, meaner than he was at the end of last season.

jimmy

Of course we will never know the full stories, but I think it is fair to say that ECFC have received a few "snubs" early summer.

One to a league (not local) rival that we have just managed to finish above in recent years and from a man that we have shown a great deal of support in his time.

Another to League 2.

Another not accepting a coaching role.

Another to MT.

Another (potentially) to Argyle....I need a lie down.

However, it is now the job of GC and the experienced beys (Sweenz, Aimson, Caprice, Nombe) to remind all that we are bigger than 1 player (or 5) who has chosen pastures new and use it to really motivate all.

The news of departures this weekend pi55es me off. We can either sulk about it or realise we have time and resources to recover and use it as real motivation.

Bat Fastard

Of course we will never know the full stories, but I think it is fair to say that ECFC have received a few "snubs" early summer.

One to a league (not local) rival that we have just managed to finish above in recent years and from a man that we have shown a great deal of support in his time.

Another to League 2.

Another not accepting a coaching role.

Another to MT.

Another (potentially) to Argyle....I need a lie down.

However, it is now the job of GC and the experienced beys (Sweenz, Aimson, Caprice, Nombe) to remind all that we are bigger than 1 player (or 5) who has chosen pastures new and use it to really motivate all.

The news of departures this weekend pi55es me off. We can either sulk about it or realise we have time and resources to recover and use it as real motivation.
Agree with much of this, it’s also an incredible opportunity for the academy buays to step up and seize a starting position, most probably borges, cox or lee

andrew p long

Anyone know who the two other players are who were turning up today as well as 'Lewis'. If they turned up even?
I think it was easy to jump to the conclusion that the two other players turning up were new signings. But they might (like 'Lewis') turn out to be triallists.