• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Starting line up based on players under contract

Average Joe

Six weeks on from the OP and....nothing has changed... No new signings and no departures/sales of anyone who was under contract for next season.

Just over 2 weeks to the first pre season friendly and seven weeks to the first League One fixture.
It's a shambles isn't it. In my opinion we are very close to the fresh hold of not having to panic buy to have a league one squad.

We have spent years trying to achieve league one status and the second season in after an incredible first season we don't even have a full squad.

This is shambolic. We obviously are going to be using the loan market to fill the gaps but I can not help thinking we are leaving it late for a squad to gel at this level

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's a shambles isn't it. In my opinion we are very close to the fresh hold of not having to panic buy to have a league one squad.

We have spent years trying to achieve league one status and the second season in after an incredible first season we don't even have a full squad.

This is shambolic. We obviously are going to be using the loan market to fill the gaps but I can not help thinking we are leaving it late for a squad to gel at this level
I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at this it's the work of someone using crayons
p.s. threshold - are you sure you run a business that requires a season ticket at Ashton Gate?

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster

Not having to panic buy?????

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster

Less than average IQ Joe strikes again!

The market is generally quiet. We will sign lots of players and get some on loan as well. As for leaving it late for a squad to gel, wtaf are you talking about? they haven't returned to pre season training yet so how would they be gelling even if we'd already made 10 signings? Its the middle of June. If we are in this situation in 7 weeks time when the season will be getting under way on the following weekend I will apologise to you.

Grecianman135

We'll have a team ready for the first game of the season,it'll be harder for us than any other league one squad that much is obvious,but last season we competed and absolutely surpassed expectations!

For us to have a player like Mitchell still onboard is a great asset as he could of attracted a lot of interest as he always looked a threat when playing for us,so he could of gone we still have Nombe,and plenty of others still here,yes we have had departures and expecting more but, we'll have a squad ready Caldwell knows who he wants and what the club needs and arguably has better connections than any of our previous managers, we'll end up with a few players with a certain pedigree like Mitchell or McDonald and step back and go "whoa I remember him,how have we signed him."

I like the rest of us hate the quiet periods and hate seeing other clubs snap up players who'd be good fits even more annoyingly teams around us in league status recruiting well, but this is who we are,sometimes it pays to play the long game for transfer targets.

We'll receive money for Collins and Key should they leave has it occured to anyone we're waiting for that cash injection to sign another player or two of equal ability?

We'll be fine I'm sure.

Average Joe

Less than average IQ Joe strikes again!
Pipe down Einstein.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pipe down Einstein.
Fair enough, it was rude of me to call you less than average IQ Joe, I just struggle to see how its a 'shambles' when we're mid June.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
We'll have a team ready for the first game of the season, it'll be harder for us than any other league one squad that much is obvious, but last season we competed and absolutely surpassed expectations!
Why is it harder for us than the likes of Burton, Cheltenham, Carlisle, Stevenage, Bristol Rovers, Cambridge, Port Vale, Northampton, Leyton Orient?

We are now averaging nearly 7k attendances, financially we're in the black, we've drastically improved our training facilities, and our stadium is tidy and creates a good atmosphere. All of these things show we can easily support a L1 club. We can't compete with the wages that 12 of the clubs can offer but to say its obvious it'll be harder for us than any other club simply isn't true.

Grecianman135

Why is it harder for us than the likes of Burton, Cheltenham, Carlisle, Stevenage, Bristol Rovers, Cambridge, Port Vale, Northampton, Leyton Orient?

We are now averaging nearly 7k attendances, financially we're in the black, we've drastically improved our training facilities, and our stadium is tidy and creates a good atmosphere. All of these things show we can easily support a L1 club. We can't compete with the wages that 12 of the clubs can offer but to say its obvious it'll be harder for us than any other club simply isn't true.
Agreed we're potentially on par with those teams but being fan owned we always work within our own means so maybe the word "obviously" is a bit strong but I do honestly feel they have on similar if not slightly more cash to throw around.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed we're potentially on par with those teams but being fan owned we always work within our own means so maybe the word "obviously" is a bit strong but I do honestly feel they have on similar if not slightly more cash to throw around.
And, aside from Carlisle in Snoop's list, we're somewhat out on a limb in comparison with the others. We have had players turn us down before because of our location.