• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Starting line up based on players under contract

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
Carroll for Kite (alas), Scott for Mitchell, Mitchell for Harper ....
I don't think so.
I would think it would more so be Carroll in for Mitchell, and Mitchell goes back to left wing back in place of Harper.
Carroll would most likely then play alongside Kite, and Trevitt would play higher with Aitchison. I think Kite is important for what he brings out of possession. The issue with Harry is that he does seem to pick up little niggling injuries a lot which hampers the amount of games that he can play in a row. Archie was obviously a very good player, but one of his other assets was that he barely missed a game (apart from his injury a couple of seasons ago right before the season started), and you could guarantee 40+ games a season from him. We can't yet say that about Kite, but hopefully that will be the case this season.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I do think James Scott's best position is one of those inside forward positions as he played at Taunton the other night. I also have a sneaky feeling that Mitch Beardmore might have a breakthrough season in that position off the bench and then possibly rotating, so along with Aitcheson and others who can fill that position such as Mitchell and Trevitt we could have enough in that position.

arthur

I do think James Scott's best position is one of those inside forward positions as he played at Taunton the other night. I also have a sneaky feeling that Mitch Beardmore might have a breakthrough season in that position off the bench and then possibly rotating, so along with Aitcheson and others who can fill that position such as Mitchell and Trevitt we could have enough in that position.
I think Trevitt is expected to arrive late from deeper positions to score his goals, rather than be (nearly) up front all game. I do like this arrangement of having two players just behind Nombe and either side of him - this is where Stanno excelled last season. The big question is who these two players are going to be and I expect there will be several different answers as the season unfolds.

The player who didn't prosper there was Collins who looked far better further back. Don't know enough about Cole, Trevitt or Beardmore to judge whether this would apply to them...

andrew p long

I think Trevitt is expected to arrive late from deeper positions to score his goals, rather than be (nearly) up front all game. I do like this arrangement of having two players just behind Nombe and either side of him - this is where Stanno excelled last season. The big question is who these two players are going to be and I expect there will be several different answers as the season unfolds.

The player who didn't prosper there was Collins who looked far better further back. Don't know enough about Cole, Trevitt or Beardmore to judge whether this would apply to them...
In GC's interview re Trevitt GC was saying Trevitt was going to play as a number 6, therefore playing quite deep (but seemingly also able to arrive late in the box as per his goal on Tuesday)

Rosencrantz

Yes, Trevitt will normally play from deeper, as Mitchell will normally play from LWB. But they are options if needed. We might well still sign another "No 10", especially if Beardmore does go out on loan, but I think another striker (or two) will be priority. Alongside CB, RWB and CM obvs 😉

arthur

In GC's interview re Trevitt GC was saying Trevitt was going to play as a number 6, therefore playing quite deep (but seemingly also able to arrive late in the box as per his goal on Tuesday)
Yes, I heard that. I don't know when this "Number 6" started. When we moved from 2 3 5 to a flat back 4 (sometime in the mid sixties), the centre backs were 5 and 6, and the midfield anchor was 4...

iscalad

Yes, I heard that. I don't know when this "Number 6" started. When we moved from 2 3 5 to a flat back 4 (sometime in the mid sixties), the centre backs were 5 and 6, and the midfield anchor was 4...
No 6 is a left half, surely l😀

ryancooper327

OK, here we are for the first half of the season:

Green: New signing (loan and perm)
Yellow: NKOTB
Red: Out on loan
Players are in shirt number order as well, before someone shouts at me for putting Jules ahead of Hartridge.

1693639332716.png

The concern for me (and others on here) is the amount of players with contracts expiring at the end of the season. A few of the ages of the younger players have been guessed. Expiring is loan end/presumed contract end. Cole and Jules are included but do hae extension options. Career apps is pulled from all comps, including youth football, available on Transfermarkt.

Squad SizeAverage AgeCareer Apps (Av.)Career Apps (Tot)Expiring?
Overall28221062,97816
Goalkeeper3241163493
Defender12231351,6245
Midfielder621623713
Forward722916345

ryancooper327

One addition:

1693945363280.png

In my opinion... Just the 1x signing at CF would be enough. Enough to cover the '10s'/inside forwards...

Bridgy 81

One addition:

View attachment 12672

In my opinion... Just the 1x signing at CF would be enough. Enough to cover the '10s'/inside forwards...
Agreed.
One more striker would probably be sufficient.
I reckon we’ve now got a great squad and League One should definitely hold no fears for us at all.