• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Starting eleven for next season

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is something of an annual tradition so I'm surprised no-one else has started it yet. However, looking at the players we have under contract this is how we could line-up for the opening game. As always seems to be the case, the first eleven looks quite strong but there isn't much strength in depth.

4-4-1-1
Arthur
Caprice, McArdle/ Stubbs, Hartridge, Sparkes
Key, Collins, Atangana/ Kite, Randall
Jay
Bowman/ Seymour

3-5-2
Arthur
McArdle, Stubbs, Hartridge
Key, Collins, Jay, Atangana, Sparkes
Bowman, Seymour/ Randall

Looking at that the issue remains that Joel Randall seems best suited to a 4-4-1-1 while 3-5-2 seems a better fit for the rest of the squad. I wonder if as Joel develops as a player he might be able to adapt his game and be able to be just as effective more centrally.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
As an aside, we are getting ever closer to being able to field a competitive team of academy graduates. I reckon this team could hold its own in League 2.

Arthur
Key, Dyer, Hartridge, Sparkes
Iseguan, Collins, Kite, Randall
Jay
Seymour.

Memphis09

This is something of an annual tradition so I'm surprised no-one else has started it yet. However, looking at the players we have under contract this is how we could line-up for the opening game. As always seems to be the case, the first eleven looks quite strong but there isn't much strength in depth.

4-4-1-1
Arthur
Caprice, McArdle/ Stubbs, Hartridge, Sparkes
Key, Collins, Atangana/ Kite, Randall
Jay
Bowman/ Seymour

3-5-2
Arthur
McArdle, Stubbs, Hartridge
Key, Collins, Jay, Atangana, Sparkes
Bowman, Seymour/ Randall

Looking at that the issue remains that Joel Randall seems best suited to a 4-4-1-1 while 3-5-2 seems a better fit for the rest of the squad. I wonder if as Joel develops as a player he might be able to adapt his game and be able to be just as effective more centrally.
Oh dear nowhere near good enough

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
As an aside, we are getting ever closer to being able to field a competitive team of academy graduates. I reckon this team could hold its own in League 2.

Arthur
Jay
Seymour.
I don't think we'd finish bottom but I'm not sure we'd be where we want to be.

Wouldn't it be great though, as a statement, to start the first game with that line up? Then slowly introduce the senior players / new signings?

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster

Arthur
Jay
Seymour.
The team spirit would be great, I would imagine. All for one and one for all.
Sparkes and Seymour are not good picks, though.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
No sh1t Sherlock

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster

Arthur
Jay
Seymour.
That team would get battered like a piece of Haddock !

Imagine defending set pieces with that 11.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Luckily, I think the manager already realises this which is why he is talking about all the players he needs to sign this summer.

tonykellowfan

Wouldn't it be great though, as a statement, to start the first game with that line up? Then slowly introduce the senior players / new signings?
It's posts like this that make me scratch my head. So you are recommending buying some decent new players but keeping them out of the team in favour of younger more inexperienced players (some of whom are clearly not up to it) simply because they are local?

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster

We could try it for a pre season friendly or a Pizza Trophy game