• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

St. James Park - Championship Ground

Bridgy 81

Maybe SJP’s close proximity to houses is an issue in relation to concerts but they stage them occasionally at the County Cricket Ground in Taunton.
They’ve got Lionel Richie there this summer, hardly heavy rock I know but a reasonably big name nevertheless.
There are quite a few house nearby too, I was born in one of them.
A few years ago Elton John played at the ground. We were having a birthday party for my Mum that afternoon in her garden.
If we kept the noise down you could just about make out the little chap singing and playing his piano.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
RE: concerts, even if we were allowed I can hardly imagine many big acts (or even medium) rushing to booking to be watched at SJP. Home Park has had a few but its a bowl (almost) and ticks more boxes facilities wise, plus it has a carpark

Don't get me wrong, I love the ground an want us to diversify income but I don't think thats a starter for us
In the mid 70s Status Quo, massive at the time, were going to play in a huge marquee on the pitch. Local fire department scuppered that idea.
Never heard anymore about gigs being offered.

Rosencrantz

I know it was on a smallish scale but didn't they have an Abba tribute act a few years ago in front of the Doble Stand? It seemed quite well attended. Maybe small steps and build up what is possible is the way to go with that as well.

Oldsmobile-88

I know it was on a smallish scale but didn't they have an Abba tribute act a few years ago in front of the Doble Stand? It seemed quite well attended. Maybe small steps and build up what is possible is the way to go with that as well.
There would be no time to have that sort of enterprise now. Pitch maintenance or relaying takes up most of the close season now. Rare to have even a PSF at SJP in the past few years due to that.

denzel

There would be no time to have that sort of enterprise now. Pitch maintenance or relaying takes up most of the close season now. Rare to have even a PSF at SJP in the past few years due to that.
Do they have to lay a new pitch every season? Used to be every few years? Orher clubs seem to manage

Red Bill

the Chiefs have put forward to the City Council a change to their premises license to be able to become a live music venue off season.

I remember when Carrie took over and (I think) at a fans forum last year she mentioned the problems with not being able to hold this kind of event at SJP due to the close proximity to houses. Such a shame as this is a huge revenue income outside of the usual matchday events.

I've always thought the centre spot would be a great place for gigs. As someone who's been going to smaller gigs since my late teens, I can say that there is a serious lack of smaller venues in the south west and the spot is the perfect size for the type of bands I've been watching for over 40 years.
I don't really buy the "too close to houses" argument. I've been to many venues in silarly positioned over the years, which now simply have restrictions on the time they have to finish music, usually about 10.30pm. Venues like the Fleece in Bristol (which is actually a bit smaller than the spot) are also now surrounded by residential properties, but still operate with a restriction on finish time. For people who's music taste is a little more alternative, these venues provide the perfect home. Coming from Devon, when I was younger, the big problem in getting to see the bands I wanted to see was often lack of suitable venues about the size of the spot.
I still think this should be explored more. It wouldn't provide stadium gig type revenue, but gigs there would be far simpler to stage and would I'm sure provide more revenue 2 or three nights a week than a few bloke sat around playing cards or whatever happens now!

Red Devon

Used to like the home PSFs on a sunny July evening.

Boyo

I've always thought the centre spot would be a great place for gigs. As someone who's been going to smaller gigs since my late teens, I can say that there is a serious lack of smaller venues in the south west and the spot is the perfect size for the type of bands I've been watching for over 40 years.
I don't really buy the "too close to houses" argument. I've been to many venues in silarly positioned over the years, which now simply have restrictions on the time they have to finish music, usually about 10.30pm. Venues like the Fleece in Bristol (which is actually a bit smaller than the spot) are also now surrounded by residential properties, but still operate with a restriction on finish time. For people who's music taste is a little more alternative, these venues provide the perfect home. Coming from Devon, when I was younger, the big problem in getting to see the bands I wanted to see was often lack of suitable venues about the size of the spot.
I still think this should be explored more. It wouldn't provide stadium gig type revenue, but gigs there would be far simpler to stage and would I'm sure provide more revenue 2 or three nights a week than a few bloke sat around playing cards or whatever happens now!
I saw the Wurzels play in a marquee on the car park, outside the Centre Spot (I think the end of season awards had been in there the previous night). The gig was stopped early due to the noise and complaints from residents.

tom_ecfc

We‘ll need to get heated rollers if we were to make the Championship…..(ducks and takes cover 🤣)

Grecian2K

We‘ll need to get heated rollers if we were to make the Championship…..(ducks and takes cover 🤣)
I agree. Just can't wait to see all those free kicks curl into the top corner! (y)