• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

St. James Park - Championship Ground

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Gerrards Cross, 2005. A cut and cover tunnel being built so a supermarket could be built above it started to collapse. It took 5 years to remedy.

Network Rail wouldn't even countenance a relatively small extension on a cantilever above their land (the own the Jungle Path but we have access rights over it).

Zero chance at SJP.
If only "Dr Beeching" had finished the job all that land could have been ours now! :rolleyes:

JCWhoosh

Surely with the potential increased capacity and train travellers to the ground, Network Rail wil be silly not to entertain the idea.

tom_ecfc

the Chiefs have put forward to the City Council a change to their premises license to be able to become a live music venue off season.

I remember when Carrie took over and (I think) at a fans forum last year she mentioned the problems with not being able to hold this kind of event at SJP due to the close proximity to houses. Such a shame as this is a huge revenue income outside of the usual matchday events.

Cowshed Grecian

So the only option is too knock down the Stanno stand and rebuild a bigger one? 😂 I never really understood why they replaced the old Grandstand with a stand that pretty much held the same capacity.

iscalad

So the only option is too knock down the Stanno stand and rebuild a bigger one? 😂 I never really understood why they replaced the old Grandstand with a stand that pretty much held the same capacity.
Oh please.....

jimmy

Took me a while to find but if anyone is interested...
Old Grandstand - 1400
Adam Stansfield Stand - 1600

The OG almost did 100 years and was made of rotting wood..I think an update was well overdue. (A bigger increase in capacity would have been nice, but overall a well considered and executed project).

Memphis09

Took me a while to find but if anyone is interested...
Old Grandstand - 1400
Adam Stansfield Stand - 1600

The OG almost did 100 years and was made of rotting wood..I think an update was well overdue. (A bigger increase in capacity would have been nice, but overall a well considered and executed project).
I sit in the Adam Stansfield stand transferring over from the Selco stand when it open and I love it there
Great atmosphere lovely seat great view
Plus you can have a pie and a pint UTC

Grecian Max

Was about to close down and be a 3 sided ground as standard (see Mansfield as what might of been)

Grecian Max

RE: concerts, even if we were allowed I can hardly imagine many big acts (or even medium) rushing to booking to be watched at SJP. Home Park has had a few but its a bowl (almost) and ticks more boxes facilities wise, plus it has a carpark

Don't get me wrong, I love the ground an want us to diversify income but I don't think thats a starter for us

SaintJames

RE: concerts, even if we were allowed I can hardly imagine many big acts (or even medium) rushing to booking to be watched at SJP. Home Park has had a few but its a bowl (almost) and ticks more boxes facilities wise, plus it has a carpark

Don't get me wrong, I love the ground an want us to diversify income but I don't think thats a starter for us
It's rather worrying if the new Head of Commercial has wasted lots of time on this as a possible source of income when this has already been explored and largely dismissed a few years ago. Rather she spent her time on actually sorting out the club shop and the catering but hey I guess I'm expecting too much :)