• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

St. James Park - Championship Ground

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I went to the Withdean with a Brighton fan to watch Exeter at the time when they singed Harley. I mentioned what a great player he was then he scored a worldy free kick against us!
I was sat watching us at SJP, when a friend who is a Brighton season ticket holder texted me to acclaim his brilliant free kick, and enquired whether we had any more like him. She quickly became very disillusioned with him when he failed to live upto that performance ? Could have sworn that was at the Amex too ? Will have to check with her ? :unsure:

Grecian Max

I went to the Withdean with a Brighton fan to watch Exeter at the time when they singed Harley. I mentioned what a great player he was then he scored a worldy free kick against us!
Wait thats not the one I was at (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/9119058.stm)... did this ever happen? I really don't remember 😂

Colesman Ballz

Wait thats not the one I was at (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/9119058.stm)... did this ever happen? I really don't remember 😂
Get the impression matey just lived upto his user name and has done us up Iike kippers ! :p

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
This one?

At the Amex?

Against Peterborough?

Brighton were in the Championship when they signed Harley. We never played them.

JCWhoosh

Sorry. I'm going to hold my hands up and say I can't remember now, thinking about it! I could have sworn I had seen Harley score against us. Ignore me. Carry on with the thread.....

Colesman Ballz

This one?

At the Amex?

Against Peterborough?

Brighton were in the Championship when they signed Harley. We never played them.
That's the badger ! :p

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Crikey, not sure how you get the Amex mixed up with the Withdean, awful place!

I've only been to the Withdean once when we lost 3-0. Probably one of the worst away games I've been to for a number of reasons, great night out after though.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ignoring the costs for the moment but how much could we roughly increase capacity by if we were to put another Tier on the Selco (Doble) stand, fill in the three corners, perhaps even move the press over to the gap with their own press container, knock down and rebuild the away end with a tier on top perhaps. How would this compare to completely rebuilding a stadium (pitch going either way) on the whole site's footprint (including St James School). Totally hypothetical as the costs for either would be immense.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ignoring the costs for the moment but how much could we roughly increase capacity by if we were to put another Tier on the Selco (Doble) stand, fill in the three corners, perhaps even move the press over to the gap with their own press container, knock down and rebuild the away end with a tier on top perhaps. How would this compare to completely rebuilding a stadium (pitch going either way) on the whole site's footprint (including St James School). Totally hypothetical as the costs for either would be immense.
If you can look at my articles in Some Sunny Day issue 2 November 2013 and issue 3 February 2014 relating to my ideas on Plan B, I suggested that the capacity could be increased to at least 14,000 by turning the pitch through 90 degrees and building a new stand without height restrictions across the middle of the old pitch.

Red Bill

Depends what you consider catchment. Sussex as a whole has 1.6mn, compared to 1.2mn in Devon. But the west of the county is closer to Portsmouth, the North has Crawley in it and the east is just miles away from anywhere.
How many were Brighton getting when they were in the Goldstone Ground?
I think there are all kinds of problems and considerations with comparing perceived catchment areas of Brighton and Exeter and particularly using the population of the two counties. Having lived in rural areas of Devon for the vast majority of the first 30 years of my life when I lived in Devon, the most obvious is the dreadful public transport and the type of roads. From many areas of Devon its nigh on impossible to get to Exeter on public transport, and journeys by road can take 90 mins or more, particularly in late spring and late summer. Plus Devon is a much bigger county than W Sussex, meaning distances are greater.
Then there's the population. I see Wiki give a population of 1.2M, but the Devon County Council website and a few others, say it is only around 800k. I would tend to believe the later over the former, which would mean that Plymouth alone, accounts for nearly a third of the entire population of the county. With most of west and South west Devon, including towns like Tavistock, Kingsbridge, Dartmouth, Ivybridge more likely to favour the greens, the available population is significantly reduced further.
However, I do wonder what impact the demise of Torquay might have had? I went to secondary school in Ashburton which had a very big catchment area, including most of south east Dartmoor, Moretonhampstead, Bovey Tracy, down to Broadhempston etc. At that time, everyone I went to school with was Torquay, bar me and one Argyle fan. However this may not now be the case with Torquay in the NLS. So it may well be the case that the whole Torbay area plus Neton Abbot and surrounding towns could realistically be considered potential City fans, which would make a huge difference of an extra 175k people we might attract. Particularly given that travel to Exeter is relatively easy from those areas.
So I would say that we can look further afield than the east Devon coastal towns nowadays for support than we could have a decade ago.