• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Squad Upgrade - League 1

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I've always thought Jevani Brown was the ordeal fit for the loss of Joel Randall.He's never going to get past Brown in the match day selection, so it wouldn't do either him or us any good loaning him back.He needs more game time than that.
Different kind of player. Jevani is a playmaking forward, more of a support striker. Joel is a winger all about getting crosses in and running in behind for goals. Playing in a front three with a proper centre forward (Nombe) between them would actually be a good mix.

ryancooper327

Without derailing too much. Liam Roberts to Northampton was only a 1 year deal (I think) despite involving a fee. Could tempt him to play League 1 if they don’t go up. 3 more clean sheets, less goals conceded and a better save percentage than Cam. More than adequate replacement…

ryancooper327

GK, RWB, LWB, CDM, ST, ST

To replace the departing: Dawson, Ray, Dyer, Key (probably), Daniel, Atangana (and Taylor inj.), Dodd, Seymour, Phillips, Zanzala, Amond.

My thoughts/prediction. Oz maybe to stay and only 1x ST to come in.
Some fairly realistic names to the positions that would make sense to me. All had L1 experience bar O'Keeffe. By no means any reason for them.... All free agents and in positions I believe we need to upgrade/fill.

GK - Liam Roberts - free agent in Summer. Better stats than Cam.
RWB - Corey O'Keeffe - fan favourite at Rochdale, free agent, 2 goals and 9 assists.
LWB - Ben Purrington - unlikely but from Exeter, free agent from Charlton, 3 goals from 27 in 21/22.
CDM - Dom Gape - from Somerset, solid DM and another free agent.
CAM/winger - David Wheeler - to fight it out with Jay, think he'll be a free agent, not overly needed but I've always liked him and wanted him back.
ST - Norwood - free agent, scores goals, might want to give us another shot.

Red Devon

Some fairly realistic names to the positions that would make sense to me. All had L1 experience bar O'Keeffe. By no means any reason for them.... All free agents and in positions I believe we need to upgrade/fill.

GK - Liam Roberts - free agent in Summer. Better stats than Cam.
RWB - Corey O'Keeffe - fan favourite at Rochdale, free agent, 2 goals and 9 assists.
LWB - Ben Purrington - unlikely but from Exeter, free agent from Charlton, 3 goals from 27 in 21/22.
CDM - Dom Gape - from Somerset, solid DM and another free agent.
CAM/winger - David Wheeler - to fight it out with Jay, think he'll be a free agent, not overly needed but I've always liked him and wanted him back.
ST - Norwood - free agent, scores goals, might want to give us another shot.
Danny Cowley and Joey Barton are very interested in James Norwood according to the East Anglian Daily Times.

Last edited:

sign of the chimes

Danny Cowley and Joey Barton are very interested in James Norwood according to the East Anglian Daily Times.
I've not seen him seriously linked with us - though have just read the EADT article you referred to - so you'll get some spotters points if he does end up down here.

In truth, I'd be quite surprised to see us make a move for him. I'm expecting us to make an offer to Aiden O'Brien who we've had on a short-term deal; not sure we'll go for another experienced option that commands a decent wage in that area of the pitch - as think we're going to be primarily focusing on 'prospects' in our recruitment this summer. Feel free to re-quote this post in June when there's a picture of Norwood with a Pompey scarf above his head on our website.

Alistair20000

Spurs apparently looking to loan out highly rated teenage striker Dane Scarlett next season with League I guaranteed game time preferred to limited Championship starts.

Not sure if we retain Spurs links and KMT may well be looking for more experienced striker options.

Just a thought

Rosencrantz

Spurs apparently looking to loan out highly rated teenage striker Dane Scarlett next season with League I guaranteed game time preferred to limited Championship starts.

Not sure if we retain Spurs links and KMT may well be looking for more experienced striker options.

Just a thought
They loaned Troy Parrott to MK in similar circumstances this season. Those kind of loans tend to cost though as there would be high demand. Similar to someone like Callum Morton say, in the last couple of seasons.

Alistair20000

They loaned Troy Parrott to MK in similar circumstances this season. Those kind of loans tend to cost though as there would be high demand. Similar to someone like Callum Morton say, in the last couple of seasons.
No idea of the cost and Parrott has not been a prolific scorer at MK. Dane Scarlett is much more highly rated as I understand the position from some folk in the know at the Club.

Callum Morton also not been getting many goals out on loan.

IndoMike

They’re a lot bigger club and I bet he’s on treble the wages of our lads.is what I meant 😉
His wages wouldn't be affected by coming on loan to us.

Red Devon

I've not seen him seriously linked with us - though have just read the EADT article you referred to - so you'll get some spotters points if he does end up down here.

In truth, I'd be quite surprised to see us make a move for him. I'm expecting us to make an offer to Aiden O'Brien who we've had on a short-term deal; not sure we'll go for another experienced option that commands a decent wage in that area of the pitch - as think we're going to be primarily focusing on 'prospects' in our recruitment this summer. Feel free to re-quote this post in June when there's a picture of Norwood with a Pompey scarf above his head on our website.
It’s an interesting article, after reading it wouldn’t be the biggest surprise if he ended up back at Forest Green Rovers if one of the bigger League One clubs doesn’t want to take the risk.