• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Squad Upgrade - League 1

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's difficult to say which players will be able to cope with the higher level of League One and if current academy players could make the leap straight into
the higher level. We look OK for central defence and you'd think Dieng, Nombe and Brown could adapt. Will we be able to keep Key? Wonder if Randall might come back on loan.
Think we need another classy midfielder and striker. So interesting to see what will happen.

grecIAN Harris

It's difficult to say which players will be able to cope with the higher level of League One and if current academy players could make the leap straight into
the higher level. We look OK for central defence and you'd think Dieng, Nombe and Brown could adapt. Will we be able to keep Key? Wonder if Randall might come back on loan.
Think we need another classy midfielder and striker. So interesting to see what will happen.
Why would Randall come back on loan??? Key hasn't produced so well this season and won't be going. The core of the side is good/strong enough, it's at either end of the pitch we will need to do some work as in goalkeeper and more options up front. The fact we had to get loan players in shows we are lacking there going forward. If we need to change shape for whatever reason we could probably do with a out and out left back and options in wide midfield areas.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Why would Randall come back on loan??? Key hasn't produced so well this season and won't be going. The core of the side is good/strong enough, it's at either end of the pitch we will need to do some work as in goalkeeper and more options up front. The fact we had to get loan players in shows we are lacking there going forward. If we need to change shape for whatever reason we could probably do with a out and out left back and options in wide midfield areas.
Josh Key may not have hit the heights of his first season but he has been far more consistent and has started more games than any City player other than Cam Dawson. Hopefully he will stay to test himself in League 1 with us but I still think he's shown enough this season for one of the bigger league 1 teams, if not someone from the Championship to offer him wages we can't compete with.

C j phill

Given the players that Matt Taylor recruited at the start of this season, I trust him to get recruitment right for next season.

I'd be interested to be a fly on the wall in the Club/Trust Board discussions for the new season. Will it be consolidation or try and build on the momentum that has been built during the course of this season, and go for it next?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Given the players that Matt Taylor recruited at the start of this season, I trust him to get recruitment right for next season.

I'd be interested to be a fly on the wall in the Club/Trust Board discussions for the new season. Will it be consolidation or try and build on the momentum that has been built during the course of this season, and go for it next?
We're about evolution rather than revolution. However that doesn't mean we'll be fighting relegation next season.

C j phill

We're about evolution rather than revolution. However that doesn't mean we'll be fighting relegation next season.
As a previous Trust Board member, on two occasions, I fully understand that. However, I've been very surprised how well the team has performed this season and I think, if we keep most the current squad together, and recruit a couple of "Jevani Brown/Timothee Diang" key improvement players, with the momentum created from this season, we could cause quite a surprise next season.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Matt Taylor is Antonio Conte.

He will be looking for more goals from the wing backs next season. Provided we hold on to the three we have, we'll still need another left wing back to allow Sparkes and Key to alternate and rest up.

Matt Jay needs to be able to run beyond Nombe/Zanzala more, or his place is going to come under threat at some stage.

Harry Kite will be the break out player next season.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Grounds reminds me of Woodman in the way he never seems flustered and rarely even seems to run much but always seems to have that sixth sense of being in the right place at the right time.
Agreed would have him on the retained list.

STURTZ

I think we would have gone with four at the back more often but for the fact that our main choice wing backs Key, Sparkes, Caprice are not brilliant defensively. If we want to have a back four we need dedicated full backs with wingers in front of them to give us width further up the pitch.

IndoMike

Well, I wondered about Randall coming back, but you didn't give any reasons why he wouldn't.
My wondering is based on...
1. Randall hasn't made many appearances for Peterboro.
2. P'boro will be in the same division as City next season.
3. He'd still get his Boro salary, with City chipping in a bit.
4. It could reignite his career. Playing time is important.

Do agree about strikers. Think Nombe could be successful in League 1, but I don't see our 3 loanees as League 1 potential.
From what I've seen, Key has done well this season, although his shooting could be better. He's still young and can be developed : I reckon he might go.