• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Squad Upgrade - League 1

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'd like to see him turn out for us, wrekin havoc in the oppo's area.
Careful Stroudy

Thread deletion threatened

SaintJames

Josh Key has gone. Agreed in January.
As a fishing expedition that's a poor one! January pre-contract agreements only happen in the final year of a players deal. Equally from our club's perspective why would they be interested in agreeing anything a full twelve to eighteen months before they allow a number of clubs to make a bid?

Colesman Ballz

Could be a good addition. No idea what his wages would be though.
I wonder if his pre-match meal still consists of a can of Coke and a Mars bar, as it infamously did when he first came here ? :unsure:

ryancooper327

GK, RWB, LWB, CDM, ST, ST

To replace the departing: Dawson, Ray, Dyer, Key (probably), Daniel, Atangana (and Taylor inj.), Dodd, Seymour, Phillips, Zanzala, Amond.

My thoughts/prediction. Oz maybe to stay and only 1x ST to come in.

Rosencrantz

One thing to consider when predicting what we need is whether we stick with playing three at the back or not. There are a lot more footballing sides in L1 which we will need to adapt and a switch in formation might be in Matt's mind. We would certainly need more strength in wide areas in that case than we currently have.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
We've all been assuming that Jonathan Grounds would be one of the players to leave but he was so good today I just wonder if we can get another season out of him.

SaintJames

We've all been assuming that Jonathan Grounds would be one of the players to leave but he was so good today I just wonder if we can get another season out of him.
I was thinking exactly the same thing when watching him today

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
I was thinking exactly the same thing when watching him today
I have to agree. I think he was our best CB today. Whether he stays or not, he has certainly played his part the 2nd half of the season. Both he and Podge have been really good signings. Not only have they contributed when they have played, but have also understood that they wouldn't play a mass amount of games and have still added value off the pitch to the younger lads!!

Cowshed Grecian

One thing to consider when predicting what we need is whether we stick with playing three at the back or not. There are a lot more footballing sides in L1 which we will need to adapt and a switch in formation might be in Matt's mind. We would certainly need more strength in wide areas in that case than we currently have.
I agree with this, the 3-5-2-1 has worked a treat this season in L2. Although perhaps we can’t be so predictable in league 1, I.e teams know we attack on the wings with the WBs, But IMO we haven’t looked right when we’ve looked to change it to 4 at the back. Imperative we bring in a proper LB and another proven striker. If we keep our core team from this season I’m backing us to be more than comfortable next season.

Grecianpasty

I'm not big on signing ex city players but Norwood would be perfect. Work rate, quality, experience.

Dream big.