• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Squad Upgrade - League 1

budegrecian

4 or 5 coming in most likely.

Exeter City budget 'doesn't change' after promotion to League One - Matt Taylor - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61259593
4 to 5 coming in sounds about right, with 2 or 3 graduating from the Academy & about 7 or 8 leaving.

I don't think the quote about our budget not changing is quite accurate; I think this is more an, understandable, attempt to moderate expectations. As I understand it Lge 1 clubs receive the best part of half a million more than Lge 2 clubs, from the EFL. Additionally, the last 4 or 5 home games of the season will have generated around £200k more than originally budgeted for, so we should be able to get some quality additions in. (I nearly said marquee signings, but thought better of it)

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Some bloke down the A38 is apparently a good keeper. He was born in Exeter, surely we can tempt him back to Devons best city?

SaintJames

I'm not against either player, but the interesting point of that interview with Matt is him saying, being in this division will open up new ops, I mean could we get a championship player looking to drop down a league to get into coaching. I mean the incentive is there as our backroom staff often go on to bigger and better things.

I just think we need to realise we are a club with a much bigger pull than before. Up a division, money still coming in from Ollie, and crowds and Prize Money.
Not much money left to come after the £150,000 we get at the end of this season when Villa stay in PL

SaintJames

4 to 5 coming in sounds about right, with 2 or 3 graduating from the Academy & about 7 or 8 leaving.

I don't think the quote about our budget not changing is quite accurate; I think this is more an, understandable, attempt to moderate expectations. As I understand it Lge 1 clubs receive the best part of half a million more than Lge 2 clubs, from the EFL. Additionally, the last 4 or 5 home games of the season will have generated around £200k more than originally budgeted for, so we should be able to get some quality additions in. (I nearly said marquee signings, but thought better of it)
Some of that may well be swallowed up by contract clauses with existing players getting larger payments if we were promoted.

sign of the chimes

I guess there is no chance of us getting George Hirst on loan now 😉. He seems to have hit a good spell after we first discussed him back in January. Do you think you can get him again next season, on loan or permanently?
I think I said back in January that it wasn't beyond the realms that he'd get on a run - you could see the confidence starting to come and it looked like it might click. I'd be lying if I said I thought his all-round game would develop as it has in the interim.

Alas, it's unlikely we'll get him back :-(

dontpassback

Some bloke down the A38 is apparently a good keeper. He was born in Exeter, surely we can tempt him back to Devons best city?
When he was named in league one team of the season,they were calling him one of our own,don’t think so janners,exonian by birth

SaintJames

I don't understand the problem of signing someone like Wheeler who will expect to play regularly. Are we going to drop Dieng now he's in his 30's because he might be blocking the path of a promising youngster? For most of the last few seasons we've had an impressive core of young players but have often lacked the senior players to complement them - 2016-17 being a perfect example. The difference this season is that while we have regularly had a very young team with lots of academy products, the senior players (Dawson, Sweeney, Dieng and Brown) have stepped up and been our best and most consistent players. I assume that we will need something similar to happen if we are to stay in League 1 and someone like Wheeler could be a perfect fit.
Equally I have no issue with signing experienced players. All squads need a balance of youth and experience and Matt T has got the balance just about right. I dont recall him saying that the signing of Amond would block the pathway of Ben Seymour. My only issue with David Wheeler is he doesnt fit the shape that Matt likes to play and I cant see much benefit in having Coley and Wheeler on the bench?

Boyo

When he was named in league one team of the season,they were calling him one of our own,don’t think so janners,exonian by birth
I see he played youth football for West Hill, near Ottery. How did he slip through our net?

Spoonz Red E

I see he played youth football for West Hill, near Ottery. How did he slip through our net?
He was really tiny and it was a very fierce volley.

Pete Martin (CTID)

George was still good enough to be starting in the Championship for Brum at the week-end. As for David Wheeler I don't really see him returning to Exeter except possibly to fill the vacancy of Labour Candidate created by Ben Bradshaw's retirement at the next General election ! :cool:
I don't think Wheeler would want to leave the Green party to do that.