• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Squad Upgrade - League 1

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Knowing where he got his milk from, it'd not be exciting the cheese.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't understand the problem of signing someone like Wheeler who will expect to play regularly. Are we going to drop Dieng now he's in his 30's because he might be blocking the path of a promising youngster? For most of the last few seasons we've had an impressive core of young players but have often lacked the senior players to complement them - 2016-17 being a perfect example. The difference this season is that while we have regularly had a very young team with lots of academy products, the senior players (Dawson, Sweeney, Dieng and Brown) have stepped up and been our best and most consistent players. I assume that we will need something similar to happen if we are to stay in League 1 and someone like Wheeler could be a perfect fit.
We are club that is all about pathways for the production line that is our youth set up. Now whilst he wasn't part of our youth set up Josh Coley is certainly one of the younger members of our squad that Matt Taylor saw fit to invest in by paying a fee for him. If you bring Wheeler in, would you not consider it blocking Josh's pathway?

Topsham Boy

Oh my God there is some nonsense and stupidity on here.
Keeping Cam would be nigh on a miracle but Jokull?? Really?? That's nearly as bad a call as having Pymmy back. We're going up not standing still or going down
Wheeler, too old.
Randell Williams, you are having a laugh aren't you?? Flatters to device doesn't even start to describe him.
Stockley, it's nice dream but he is in his prime and banging in goals for fun as captain for an under performing Charlton. If he was to leave, there would be many more suited in front of us before we even talk about money.
Sadly you are right on all fronts. Keeping Cam and Jayden coming back would be amazing. But never going to happen.

Colesman Ballz

The difference this season is that while we have regularly had a very young team with lots of academy products, the senior players (Dawson, Sweeney, Dieng and Brown) have stepped up and been our best and most consistent players. I assume that we will need something similar to happen if we are to stay in League 1 and someone like Wheeler could be a perfect fit.
I like your logic, but "stay in League 1" ? Shirley our goal now is the Championship ! :cool:

SDRighton

A goal-scoring forward needed. I have it on solid authority that we've been keeping an eye on striker Tony-James Lee at Poole Town. Transfer fee may be involved and promotion has helped on this front.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
A goal-scoring forward needed. I have it on solid authority that we've been keeping an eye on striker Tony-James Lee at Poole Town. Transfer fee may be involved and promotion has helped on this front.
Encouraging news Banksy and Kells both came to us from Non League Clubs.

Banksy

Seems reasonably prolific , but would he be up to League 1? Guess it’s been done before though.Interesting .

Cowshed Grecian

I like your logic, but "stay in League 1" ? Shirley our goal now is the Championship ! :cool:
I like your thinking!

AndyR

One GK who impressed me when he played at SJP recently was Shamal George of Colchester- he made some great saves- and his contract is up this summer. Or am I aiming too low?!

Cowshed Grecian

I do wonder whats going to happen with the Keeper conundrum, i wonder what the plan is? Perhaps Lee is earmarked for next season and always has been-He's going to be 18 soon and he's not your average youth keeper is he, big prospect.