• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Squad Upgrade - League 1

Cowshed Grecian

I reckon Amond has had a huge impact of some of the younger strikers. Nothing to back up, just a hunch.
Yep I think out of all our loanees and older players out of contract he will be the one most likely staying. You can tell how much Taylor appreciates him. I wouldn’t mind him being 3-4 striker option.

Bridgy 81

But he is still young enough to want and expect to be playing every week for one more season.
Just out of curiosity why would you consider Amond “young enough” at 34 to play one more season,
but dismiss David Wheeler who’s 31 as too old for us and describe it as nonsense and stupidity for him to potentially return even though he’s played 38 matches in the Championship and 58 in League One in the last 3 years?

Cowshed Grecian

In the nostalgic wish to bring back players of old no mention yet of George Friend :censored:
That would be a third time

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just out of curiosity why would you consider Amond “young enough” at 34 to play one more season,
but dismiss David Wheeler who’s 31 as too old for us and describe it as nonsense and stupidity for him to potentially return even though he’s played 38 matches in the Championship and 58 in League One in the last 3 years?
Where have I mentioned Podge in any of this? At 34 Podge knows he's going to be a squad player. Podge's body isn't going to let him play week in, week out even if his mind thinks he can. Wheeler on the other hand is two years younger. He knows this is probably going to be his last season before he falls into the Podge bracket.

dommers

Probably just the one keeper - the pathway for Lee needs to there even if I’m not sure he’s ready.
Agreed what message does it send to the youngsters if we sign 2 keepers, having promised Lee a path to first team football.

Rosencrantz

In the nostalgic wish to bring back players of old no mention yet of George Friend :censored:
Could he be next season's Jonathan Grounds?

Pobbop

We should probably move on from signing former players to be fair, looking back I don’t think there’s many we’ve had back whom have worked out second time round. We are in a better situation now and like Taylor alluded too players will actually want to sign for us more nowadays.
Very odd comment, some of our greatest heroes have been players who came back, Kellow, Neville, Hiley, Miller, Friend on loan, and despite the hate from some for him Harley had some great moments.

Personally think we are okay for midfield, great for centre-halves see no reason why we'd bring one of them in. RWB, if Key goes perhaps. LWB maybe but I am a fasn of Sparkes, and Caprice as someone with pace that can cover a lot of positions.

Kite can do Atatanga's role, much better than him, this yearning for a midfielder that will kick people is just old-fashioned, arguable in this day and age, none of them will last many matches, we've got plenty in there. With other Yoofs in the background.

I wouldn't take any of the Strikers that we have on Loan, would look to bring in two good experienced forwards, I'd take Wheeler and Norwood if you are going back to old guys that are gettable, with again looking at yoof and the Loan market for extras Honestly, I think Phillips, Zanzala and Amond have written themselves a little into folklore with vital goals, but all three's goal record is poor, and if we look at Loans we will be able to get much better players from an higher bracket. KMT likes the Loan market, and we'll have many more options next year.

Oh and a 'keeper when Dawson goes, we ain't paying him 8k a week, and even if he did want another club for First Team football arguably someone else will pay closer to 8K. Another Loan probably, but he's all pre-season to look for one, and yes many will be looking for first-team football. Where's Oscar Jansson anyway?

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
George more than played his part this season having recommended Sam Stubbs to the club.

Colesman Ballz

George more than played his part this season having recommended Sam Stubbs to the club.
George was still good enough to be starting in the Championship for Brum at the week-end. As for David Wheeler I don't really see him returning to Exeter except possibly to fill the vacancy of Labour Candidate created by Ben Bradshaw's retirement at the next General election ! :cool:

Bridgy 81

I‘m reluctant to say I mentioned George Friend on here sometime ago, as pointing out previous posts you’ve made seems to be the preserve of others, but I think he’d be perfect for us next year.
He knows us, is experienced and can play centre (left) back.
Problem is I think he has one year left at Birmingham but I don’t think he’s not been featuring often for them so maybe there’s a deal to be had.