• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Squad Upgrade - League 1

Cowshed Grecian

Stockley?!

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm sure KMT will, but he'll also assess who can do a job in L1. My guess is that changes will be minimal.
Will depend on departures but strikers are definitely needed and I would like to see a Doc like midfielder

Bridgy 81

Stockley?!
That’d be nice but I think he still has 2 years left on a 3 year deal.
I doubt we’d want to pay the type of transfer fee they’d be asking for to sell him.
Maybe a loaner (if we can work out something about his presumably not inconsiderable wages) and Charlton are willing to lend him to a rival in their division 😊

Cowshed Grecian

That’d be nice but I think he still has 2 years left on a 3 year deal.
I doubt we’d want to pay the type of transfer fee they’d be asking for to sell him.
Maybe a loaner (if we can work out something about his presumably not inconsiderable wages) and Charlton are willing to lend him to a rival in their division 😊
I doubt it but we can live in hope. I think he definitely has an affiliation with the club like Wheeler,I’m sure Charlton wouldn’t be too keen to let him go anyways.

simcity

Heard Kieran Maguire (the Price of Football guy) on Radio Devon this morning and he said that we'll get an extra £500k in revenue from the EFL from TV rights etc plus all the extra ticket revenue we'll receive from naturally bigger gates so there will be some money for signings.

Think we'll need a keeper as I can't see Dawson coming back - maybe someone like Nathan Bishop who's been at Mansfield this season.

A new striker, RWB and probably a CAM to ease the pressure on Jay!

arthur

Stockley and Nombe would be a fantastic pairing. But one of Jay and Brown would need to be left out/redeployed. Who'd be a manager?

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Stockley is not coming back. However much we would all love for him to do so

(Hopes to be massively proven wrong)

Grecian2K

Regarding the GK position I we can't get Cam again might Jokull be a possibility.

Recalled to Reading from Morecambe in January but not featured for them since.

Now that WE'RE in L1 might another loan be realistic?

Boyo

Of our loanees...
Dawson - as said already, would love to keep, but it's very unlikely given his wages.
Podge - not good enough for L1.
Phillips - will return to Huddersfield.
Zanzala - If his wages are low, I'd give him a contract for next season (we're never going to have 3-4 high earning strikers).

I'd release (assuming their contracts are up):
Atangana
Ray
Daniel
Grounds
Seymour

That leaves:

GK
S Brown
Lee

CENTRE BACK
Stubbs
Diabate
Hartridge
Sweeney
Pond

FULL BACKS
Key
Caprice
Sparkes

MIDFIELD
Collins
Rowe
Kite
Dieng
Taylor

FORWARDS
Coley
Jay
J Brown

STRIKERS
Nombe
Cox
Zanzala (if available and cheap)

There are some other youth/development players around the fringes but I don't know enough about them to comment.

Looking at the list above however, I think you could make an argument for one extra player in all 6 "departments". So specifically, I'd want a GK, a left sided centre back, a first choice left back, a defensive midfilder, a forward who can play wide, and another back up to Nombe.

Bridgy 81

I think Ray has one year left, plus a decision will need to be made about Jordan Dyer I assume and as you say a few other younger players on the fringes.
Interesting to see what happens over the next few months, hopefully it’ll be quality additions to enhance the squad where it’s necessary and not too many, or ideally no departures which are unfavourable to us.