• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Squad Upgrade - League 1

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Although our squad has done a great job in getting there, League 1 will be more challenging.

The topic of improving the squad has been touched on in other threads but now we are up it deserves a thread of it’s own.

Where do we need to strengthen ?

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
We need a proven goalscorer and maybe a little more depth at the back. I'd also love it if we could keep Cam but I suspect we'll be in the market for a keeper too

STURTZ

Prefer to finish the job before we talk about such matters, people were shouting about the inabilities of Phillips and Zanzala weeks ago, I urged that people lay off them, both would play their part......

Alistair20000

Prefer to finish the job before we talk about such matters, people were shouting about the inabilities of Phillips and Zanzala weeks ago, I urged that people lay off them both would play their part......
Nah. Job done. Time to look forward.

ExeterCraic

Prefer to finish the job before we talk about such matters, people were shouting about the inabilities of Phillips and Zanzala weeks ago, I urged that people lay off them both would play their part......
I think Phillips is the sort of player who won't come 'good' till late in his career, physically he's already there so I feel it's just a matter of him improving his decision making and technically ability, it won't be with us anyway.

Bridgy 81

I suppose when the season ends for the various teams who aren’t involved in the playoffs 😊 we’ll start seeing the retained lists being published as early as the next couple of weeks.
That’ll be when we will have a better idea of who’s available and who may interest us as potential permanent signings.
Loans aren’t usually arranged until squads have returned for preseason training and then decisions are made about who maybe surplus to requirements for the next 6 or 12 months.
In any event avoiding the playoffs means we can start the process of recruiting virtually straight away, stealing a march on our competitors.
By the way (hopefully providing we don’t sell anyone and Kite and Hartridge have recovered) I think we’ll need a new keeper to replace Dawson, an experienced (ideally left footed) centre back to replace Ray and Grounds, maybe a half season midfield loan whilst Taylor is out and 3 new strikers.
I think all that could be achieved, even allowing for possible higher wage demands, by releasing or loaning out a number of our current squad, to make way for a lesser number but higher quality replacements.

scottus86

Strikers and a goalkeeper are the first things we need, then maybe a top quality left wing back.

If most of the squad is kept, then there's not much building to do as they're mostly young and will improve anyway.

CityTillIDie

If only we could keep everyone!

Rosencrantz

When you look at the last time we were in L1, what really kicked us on from just surviving on the last day and coming 8th was quality up top. The first season we brought in Corr and Norwood to go with what we had. They were too suspended and inexperienced respectively.

Next season we brought in Nardiello, Cureton and O'Flynn. Certainly the first two were quality we don't often get down here. Obviously both came with health warning stickers (injury prone and past it) but both could finish. Just seek out old YouTube vids and the quality of finishing is a different level to what we have now.

Nombe, Jevani and MJ can thrive in L1 but that added quality, consistency and depth in options up front are key.

STURTZ

Nah. Job done. Time to look forward.
I am, to next Saturday and running around The Park with the League Two champions trophy! Can understand that it's been a bit overwhelming for some people though! Take your tablets and have a lay down, I'm sure bad times are just around the corner.:D