• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Spotlight -Major operation to prevent public disorder!

exeips

I spoke to someone this morning who asked me if there was any fighting or trouble last night. I thought he was joking but he said Spotlights main feature last night was about the police keeping crowd order.

So I watched the spotlight programme on the i-player & saw what he was talking about.

They opened the programme with "Devon & Cornwall Police have launched a major operation to prevent public disorder at one of the biggest football matches", "Police will come down hard on any trouble makers"

They then go to their home affairs correspondent, (Mr Disaster) Simon Hall, who despite saying police told him it's a low risk game goes on to show his report. Which talks about "the police will be taking no chances", 200 officers on duty with more on standby if needed. There was then a warning for trouble makers by the police. He then goes on to say "It's a significant crowd challenge and at a time when the sporting eyes of the nation will be on this small corner of Exeter".

He then talked to a pub about their security operation before talking live from the ground "well, so far there has been no reports of violence, trouble or disorder. Lots of people around but the atmosphere was good natured, boisterous but good natured".

Shame spotlight decided to go with this angle but I guess it what you have to come to expect from them.

Cravat 2

What a shame. I never expected any trouble at all last night.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I assumed they were practising for next week. Did we have to pay for all of that? There were a lot inside the ground.

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
I assumed they were practising for next week. Did we have to pay for all of that? There were a lot inside the ground.
Guess they chose to run it this week as next week's fixture is far from certain to go ahead.

Rog H K

YES! We paid for it. £1 was put on all ticket prices. Policing/Stewarding and other costs come out before we split the gate reciepts with Liverpool.

muppetdodger

And why the fleet of cop cars and motorcycle outriders carting the team and the supporters off to the motorway? Seemed like massive overkill to me, especially when the game felt like a pre season friendly.

Oh, and despite the heavy police presence, I had to put up with a liverpool fan on the bank who went on all night about how wonderful liverpool are and then proceeded to cheer when they scored their second. Needless to say he was soon told to shut the f*ck up. Lucky he wasnt dealt with by some fairly angry fans around my area, and then thrown out the gate! Said he was a trust member and a liverpool fan - well if that is the case by all means come to the game in the exeter end but shut up you *****!

Alistair20000

And why the fleet of cop cars and motorcycle outriders carting the team and the supporters off to the motorway? Seemed like massive overkill to me, especially when the game felt like a pre season friendly.
Plod loves to do a bit of grandstanding. Simples.

andrew p long

Spotlight is normally laughably pathetic.Last night was pathetic but not so funny.

BBC Plymouth were obviously vying for their 'War of the Monster Trucks' moment*.To run the lead story solely about fear of disorder with no factual basis for it whilst not mentioning the football was not just incompetent it was also plainly Plymouth centric.

A pity because the sport report in the later part of the programme was spot on.They should have used that as the basis of the main story.

As an Exile I miss the Westcountry, but near the top of the good things about not being in Exeter is the quality of local tv.Much of Spotlight remains intellectually feeble, parochial,small minded and amateurish.

(* do I have to explain this reference?)

crocks

The amount of policing (helicopter and all) was way out of proportion. It would be laughable if it wasnt for the cost implications.

RobG

Facebook group against Spotlight? Make a point?