• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sports News

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I watched a great 2 part documentary about Lance Armstrong which was made quite recently. Although I am anti drugs in sport, I understood why he did it at the time he did it. Pretty much all the experts said in those times you’d stand no chance if you didn’t as so many of the others did. Good documentary
I think the problem with Lance was the arrogance and bullying that came with the drugs program. If he had never made a comeback, he wouldn't have got caught. He always thought everyone else who he saw as a competitor to him was on drug programs at least the equal of him if not more. As it turned out, US Postal had the most sophisticated drugs program going under Dr Ferrari.

There are some really good books out there to go along with the documentaries (there are a few around). I would recommend Seven Deadly Sins by David Walsh for the story of his chase of Lance which was, and would have been, fruitless until it unravelled with Lance's comeback. It no doubt formed a basis for most of the documentaries that followed. As for an honest (I know) cyclists view of doping and why he did it and how, The Secret Race by Tyler Hamilton (Lance's teammate at US Postal) is illuminating. Not just of his relationship with Lance but also cycling in general during those times.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Love the French scenery!

{this isn't get the garden done!}

Avening Posse

I think the problem with Lance was the arrogance and bullying that came with the drugs program. If he had never made a comeback, he wouldn't have got caught. He always thought everyone else who he saw as a competitor to him was on drug programs at least the equal of him if not more. As it turned out, US Postal had the most sophisticated drugs program going under Dr Ferrari.

There are some really good books out there to go along with the documentaries (there are a few around). I would recommend Seven Deadly Sins by David Walsh for the story of his chase of Lance which was, and would have been, fruitless until it unravelled with Lance's comeback. It no doubt formed a basis for most of the documentaries that followed. As for an honest (I know) cyclists view of doping and why he did it and how, The Secret Race by Tyler Hamilton (Lance's teammate at US Postal) is illuminating. Not just of his relationship with Lance but also cycling in general during those times.
Thanks for the reading tips, I will check them out

Red Devon

Nice easy ride into Paris for Tadej Pogacar to confirm a totally dominant victory in this years tour...Mark Cavendish was unable to win on the Champs-Elysees to break Eddy Merckx all time stage win record, will Cav have it in him to return next year for one last push at the record.

Colesman Ballz

Nice easy ride into Paris for Tadej Pogacar to confirm a totally dominant victory in this years tour...Mark Cavendish was unable to win on the Champs-Elysees to break Eddy Merckx all time stage win record, will Cav have it in him to return next year for one last push at the record.
He did at least pick up the Green Jersey for the second time, and a good few quid as consolation.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lions 1 South Africa 0 (y)

Red Devon

Mark Cavendish to ride in the Tour of Britain next month.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Mark Cavendish to ride in the Tour of Britain next month.
Julian Alaphilippe will also take part.

Antony Moxey

This year’s Tour of Britain really does have a high class field. If you’ve never seen a major cycle race in the flesh I’d urge you to get along when Stage Two comes to Devon. The speed, the numbers, the amount of support vehicles, the number of police outriders, it really is an amazing sight.

Red Devon

Julian Alaphilippe will also take part.
Quite a few big names including Wout Van Aert, Richie Porte and Michal Kwiatkoski to name a few.