• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sports News

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's the rules, automatic red card so to speak, as Tim Henman once found out.
Yes, I know. But good rules should allow for a little bit of common sense and not be implemented arbitrarily.
If he had whacked it deliberately at the line judge with the aim of hurting her I would agree, but the chance in a million that
it would hit her throat? Have you ever seen a line judge being hit by a ball in the throat in any circumstances?
There has to be a little bit of tolerance for expressions of emotion. Most tennis players are already like robots - few characters in the game.
So for me one game should have been deducted, but not the whole match.
PS. I'm not particularly a Djokovic fan.

Rosencrantz

Yes, I know. But good rules should allow for a little bit of common sense and not be implemented arbitrarily.
If he had whacked it deliberately at the line judge with the aim of hurting her I would agree, but the chance in a million that
it would hit her throat? Have you ever seen a line judge being hit by a ball in the throat in any circumstances?
There has to be a little bit of tolerance for expressions of emotion. Most tennis players are already like robots - few characters in the game.
So for me one game should have been deducted, but not the whole match.
PS. I'm not particularly a Djokovic fan.
It's tennis though Indo. Not a contact sport and still run by people who stop for high tea without fail. Whilst the crowd secretly like shows of passion or even dissent, you get the pantomime reaction when the racket takes a battering, the hierarchy clutch their trouser hems and go into a paroxysm of tutting. Hence the rules, no courtside official much be touched in shows of dissent no matter how soft or accidental.

To be fair, if a footballer smashes the ball into the ground, as you see from time to time, they get a yellow card. If it hits the ref or lino, what colour card would you think will be coming?

Red Devon

Women’s number one Ashleigh Barty pulls out of defending her title at this years French Open due to Coronavirus worries.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Alaphilippe wins the world road race with a typical attack.

Rosencrantz

Alaphilippe wins the world road race with a typical attack.
Whilst the others looked at Wout Van Aert and thought "should we really work only to be out sprinted?" Classic Alaphilippe 👍

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pleasant to be able to watch the cycling this weekend without constant advert breaks.

Rosencrantz

Pleasant to be able to watch the cycling this weekend without constant advert breaks.
Make the most of it whilst you can.

Red Devon

British involvement over in the French Open tennis tournament.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Chiefs' European final opponents Racing 92 have had positive Covid 19 tests.

Red Devon

Storming finish in the women’s elite race in the London Marathon with Sara Hall coming from nowhere to take second place right on the finish line from Ruth Chepngetich in third. Race winner Brigid Kosgei in a complete class of her own finishing +3:03 faster than Sara Hall.