• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Southend United V Exeter City FC Matchday thread - 10 / 10 / 2020

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
McCardle has been a decent signing, but he isn't particularly young, and hasn't played a lot recently, when we got him I thought he'd be about a 20 games a season squad player, give him a rest.

We were leggy yesterday, got to make a few changes, need to rotate not necessarily "drop". Young legs, we have plenty of them. Williams and Bowman wouldn't be in my team ATM, despite obvious contributions last year, and maybe just give Jay a breather.

Law, Sparkes, Fisher and maybe Kite or Ajose would all play for me.
I didnt watch the game, just saw the goals. It worries me if the players were 'leggy' considering none of them played in midweek and it's only October.
I don't know if there is a friendly proposed for midweek, if not I'd hope there might be changes for Walsall.

Pobbop

I didnt watch the game, just saw the goals. It worries me if the players were 'leggy' considering none of them played in midweek and it's only October.
I don't know if there is a friendly proposed for midweek, if not I'd hope there might be changes for Walsall.
It's a weird season mate, other teams had a longer rest than us, we need to manage what we have.

Oh and is anyone else a tad annoyed about the "southend unlucky not to get 3 points" narrative being pumped out, yeah a last second strike to deny you is gutting, but over the 95 minutes we basically bossed it, a slightly soft pen the only reason they had their lead, when we were all over them.

Last edited:

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wouldn’t be surprised to see Nicky Law come back in at Walsall next Saturday, MT sounded less than impressed with Williams yesterday and could find himself amongst the substitutes probably to be replaced by Caprice with Key moving further up the field.
I think yesterday would have been a game where Law would have been preferable to Matt Jay. Jay is having a fine start to the season but he seemed to me to be really busy and creative and a little lightweight in equal measures. I don't know how poorly Law has been and if his illness has taken much away from him but perhaps it's time to pick him in preference to Jay for a week or two. There's loads of games coming up and I wouldn't wish Jay to burn out.

Others have said it's time to rest Bowman and Williams and I'd agree with that - It's rotation time imo.

Red Devon

I think yesterday would have been a game where Law would have been preferable to Matt Jay. Jay is having a fine start to the season but he seemed to me to be really busy and creative and a little lightweight in equal measures. I don't know how poorly Law has been and if his illness has taken much away from him but perhaps it's time to pick him in preference to Jay for a week or two. There's loads of games coming up and I wouldn't wish Jay to burn out.

Others have said it's time to rest Bowman and Williams and I'd agree with that - It's rotation time imo.
I don’t think Law has been too bad as MT said if yesterday’s match had been Walsall then Nicky could have drove up himself and caught up with the rest of the squad up there..as for Bowman I can’t see a rest doing him any harm and surely you have to reward Fisher for his goal yesterday.

geoffwp

It's a weird season mate, other teams had a longer rest than us, we need to manage what we have.

Oh and is anyone else a tad annoyed about the "southend unlucky not to get 3 points" narrative being pumped out, yeah a last second strike to deny you is gutting, but over the 95 minutes we basically bossed it, a slightly soft pen the only reason they had their lead, when we were all over them.
Depends who is putting it out pb. If it's a southend fans forum then I'd take no notice. I never bother reading other club forums for that reason, except maybe the gargs after we've put them in their place!!!

Grecianpasty

With the upcoming fixtures players will get there chance. McCardle will need to be rested. Williams will most likely leave. Law will return from illness. It's just a question of how many players will get those chances. Fisher will get his opportunity, as will Seymour. I'd like to think hartidge will. Ajose is anyone's guess at this stage!

andrew p long

Yes, me too. Just look at the stats to see how little Southend had overall.

Yes, lots of sympathy goes to a side that concedes on 95 minutes. But as Richard Portland pointed out much earlier in the thread, there was the usual awful amount of time wasting once they led. I reckon from 73 minutes on the ball was only in play for about 50% of the time. When it went out for a throw in they took at least 20 seconds to take a throw, sometimes thirty seconds.

Of course as they are down the bottom, six defeats in seven, they are entitled to try to slow things down and to some sympathy for not holding on. But there is no way they were 'unlucky' not to win.

Pobbop

Depends who is putting it out pb. If it's a southend fans forum then I'd take no notice. I never bother reading other club forums for that reason, except maybe the gargs after we've put them in their place!!!
I don't read other fora either, but on Quest and sky they ran with the "southend hard done-by" narrative.

I am not hugely bothered though, we should have beat them out of sight, they aren't very good, we weren't at our best, I'm sure there'll be matches this season when we smash and grab and I'll be delighted about it.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I can understand that with midweek games we might need to rotate, and we have a squad at the moment that can hopefully cope with it. But with a free week anyone who needs a rest should surely be able to have a quiet week training and be ready by next weekend?

years ago all sides had smaller squads, only one sub allowed, much worse pitches , and while of course injuries happened, most sides played similar teams game after game including league and fa cup ties including sometimes unlimited replays, and you had games on very close together at Xmas and Easter. Think occasionally there wasn’t always even a gap day.

Rosencrantz

I don't read other fora either, but on Quest and sky they ran with the "southend hard done-by" narrative.

I am not hugely bothered though, we should have beat them out of sight, they aren't very good, we weren't at our best, I'm sure there'll be matches this season when we smash and grab and I'll be delighted about it.
Southend looking for their first three points, denied by a 95th minute equaliser against a strong side in the division, normal narrative of punditry isn't it?