• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Southend United V Exeter City FC Matchday thread - 10 / 10 / 2020

Grecianpasty

One of the shortest things about football these days is the word assist. Bowman hasn't whipped in an unplayable cross to split their defence wide open with a pass. It was a simple 10yd pass that some are using as a reason for his continued selection
Some? I have a name you know 😉

hillview red

It seems as though your assessment consists of negatives towards the one player who made an assist and the other player that scored.

Just saying.
I think I said that Joel Randell took his goal well. I can add that he was much better in the first half if that would help. It must be tough for someone so young to play in more than 1 position in a game. Just thought he couldn't get in the game in the 10 role.

In terms of Bowman... Yes it was an assist. I think we might have lost ourselves a little in FPL points if we're going to "big" that one up a lot but yes... He picked up a loose ball and played a tidy pass

Albumen

At what ?

He dwells on the ball, his passing is generally poor and he gets bullied by opponents.

Apart from that he's playing like Viera !
At playing football. Not sure I’ll convince you. He will play way beyond this level. Brave, composed, great positional sense.
I love how people can watch the same player and see it soo differently. As annoying as it is to be disagreed with, it’s fascinating. Nothing against you proper chap - I just see an excellent young player who never shies away... playing probably the most Difficult position.

tonykellowfan

I find the criticism of Collins bizarre, he was probably our best player today. Bowman's assist was neat, but he is feeding off scraps and does look off his game. He should be dropped in my opinion. Give Fisher a run of games at least lets see what he can do. He can't be worse than Bowman. Williams is definitely improving but still frustrating at times, he really should have put Jay in for an easy chance but dwelt on the ball. Page's challenge was a penalty every day I'm afraid, silly challenge to make.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Underwhelming performance despite gaining a point away from home which is always good....we just didn’t use the ball well enough when in good areas to do so, Williams was particularly guilty of this despite seeing plenty of the ball, Bowman wasn’t in the game but provided an assist.Collins had a decent game and I thought that Key and Randall were probably our most effective looking players, Credit to Fisher for digging us out of the sh*t at the end there and now deserves to start at Walsall...overall that was a must do better performance as it didn’t particularly inspire much.

PeteUSA

Youtube highlights:

I really thought Ward should have done better with that underhit poorly placed penalty. Why the hell do modern day keepers dive before the ball is struck? If he'd remained standing until that moment, that would have been an easy stop to his right!

Red Devon

Got out of jail at the end there. Poor and needless penalty to give away to give them the advantage. We built up some good pressure but just not quite clinical enough.

It wasn’t looking like it was going to happen near the end once Randall just failed to find Williams on the edge of the box, but credit to Fisher, it was a great finish. Must have been a sucker punch although ball was out of play for a section of the added minutes. The sort of thing which happens when you badly need a win.

Still think we should have won , and I would have put on ajose, but well done city for keeping going. One point is better than nothing. Hopefully we can get three at Walsall next time.
The extra 30 seconds probably came from when the referee had a word with Moseley right after the board went up.

geoffwp

One of the shortest things about football these days is the word assist. Bowman hasn't whipped in an unplayable cross to split their defence wide open with a pass. It was a simple 10yd pass that some are using as a reason for his continued selection
and yet the one person he DOES have to impress continues to write his name on the team sheet! I think I've read in the E&E in an interview with Taylor, that he describes Bowman as the most 'asked about' player. My assumption being that those asking are enquiring about availability, but that's just my take. He also says that those who are involved in the game know what Bowman brings to the team then goes on to mention his selfless play energy, work rate etc. I wonder if that comment has a barb in it aimed at social media and game boy football managers? Either way it was pretty obvious, reading the comments, that the manager rates the player highly.

PeteUSA

I think I've read in the E&E in an interview with Taylor, that he describes Bowman as the most 'asked about' player. My assumption being that those asking are enquiring about availability, but that's just my take.

That cant be right Geoff. More like people asking Taylor: "What the f#ck do you see in him!"

geoffwp

Definitely the other way Pete. Seemed much more like Taylor saying to critics 'what the f#ack do you know about things'.