• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sonny Cox

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I still don't know a lot about Sonny. If we tried to compare him to other City strikers, is he similar in style to Nombe, Logan, Stansfield, Bowman, Stockley, Rowbotham or someone else?

Banksy

I still don't know a lot about Sonny. If we tried to compare him to other City strikers, is he similar in style to Nombe, Logan, Stansfield, Bowman, Stockley, Rowbotham or someone else?
Or even Jamie Cureton.😝

Agent Andy

Very similar to Rowbotham , clinical inside the box , best finisher at the club or so I’m told

IndoMike

Very similar to Rowbotham , clinical inside the box , best finisher at the club or so I’m told
Thanks. That would be a real bonus

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Watching the youth games that were on YouTube in 20/21, I was seriously impressed with him - a raw but natural talent. One thing that would define him would be whether his strength (which is an asset against same age players) will develop enough to cope with more experienced centre backs.

Bridgy 81

I’ve only seen Sonny play live a couple of times (and watched some videos of him in other matches) and it seems to me that his best attributes currently are his movement and finishing.
It struck me when I watched him play for WsM at Taunton recently he’d grown and filled out a bit since I last saw him but he isn’t big (still only young though).
He seems to predominantly favour his left foot and I don’t recall in my time following ECFC seeing too many left footed central strikers of his type.
It’ll be very interesting to see how he does this season and where he does it.

andrew p long

I’ve only seen Sonny play live a couple of times (and watched some videos of him in other matches) and it seems to me that his best attributes currently are his movement and finishing.
It struck me when I watched him play for WsM at Taunton recently he’d grown and filled out a bit since I last saw him but he isn’t big (still only young though).
He seems to predominantly favour his left foot and I don’t recall in my time following ECFC seeing too many left footed central strikers of his type.
It’ll be very interesting to see how he does this season and where he does it.
And what formation best suits him...I don’t think he would be best suited to our current system in the role Nombe plays.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
And what formation best suits him...I don’t think he would be best suited to our current system in the role Nombe plays.
This is my one concern. We know that the manager favours a big, strong striker with more skilful players off him; there were lots of reasons why Ajose and Seymour struggled but one of them was that they never naturally fit in to the manager's preferred system. Realistically Cox isn't going to be able to play the Nombe/ Zanzala/ Bowman role but is he going to be good enough to force the manager to change his way of setting up the team to accommodate him.

STURTZ

I do not think he will go out on loan.

He will play for the first team in some of the lesser games and will be on the bench early in the season.

He could easily break into the team next season.
My guess is he will play a few early games then go out on loan. If he can score a few goals at the likes of Truro or Tiverton then he may get his break after January.

Banksy

Sounds promising.