• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Social media presence

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Looks like it..He certainly was a lot younger than I remember.
You had him at around 50 in 1980. Assuming the obit is right, and Tony was 63 when he died in 2008, he would only have been 35 in 1980.

I guess this is either a case of everyone looking old when you're young or Tony having had a very tough paper round lol.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jokull is fast becoming a Grecian Hero lifting our spirits through these difficult times.
Keep going Jokull especially after we lost Sir Captain Tom this week - we need someone to believe in !
UTC

haka

Can't remember Tony Phillips – reckon he must have departed the E&E just before I began taking an interest in City.

Was he succeeded by Trina Lake? As I recall, after Trina, the Echo's City correspondents would have been Ed Hogg, Nick Beer, Matt Bamsey, and then Simon Larkins. Am I missing anyone?!
Martyn Dean. Maybe after Tony Phillips, but before Trina Lake. I have a lot of Martyn's clippings from the Brian Godfrey era (in a box, somewhere, must dig out).

Obituary (he died sadly young):

https://www.sidmouthherald.co.uk/news/sports-reporter-martyn-dies-aged-6091950

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Martyn Dean. Maybe after Tony Phillips, but before Trina Lake. I have a lot of Martyn's clippings from the Brian Godfrey era (in a box, somewhere, must dig out).

Remember Martyn from local TV, and Sidmouth [where I grew up and his brother ran the local Spar shop], but wasn't aware [or if I was I'd forgotten] that he'd ever been the Echo's City correspondent.

It was only relatively recently that I became aware ITN's John Ray [https://www.itv.com/news/meet-the-team/john-ray], a regular fixture on the News at 10, was once the WMN's Exeter City reporter.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Gosh, Tony Phillips. A proper journalist. Martyn Dean, always well informed and a good read. Sad that neither made it to state retirement age: that's unfair.

Big shout out for Jokull. Very important that those who seem most confident - as Jokull does, especially coming for crosses - can tell the rest of us that anxiety affects them too.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Jokull is fast becoming a Grecian Hero lifting our spirits through these difficult times.
Keep going Jokull especially after we lost Sir Captain Tom this week - we need someone to believe in !
UTC
Good use of social media as well

Oldsmobile-88

Martyn was a fine journalist...His last gigs were reporting for Sky from SJP & other FL teams in the South West.

Heysham Mike

I travelled on the Friday overnight train up north with Tony Phillips from St. David's in the late 60s, early 70s, so we could watch City away matches. I recall on one occasion we reached Scunthorpe and Tony used a phone box outside the station to contact the Echo with his latest City story pre-match. How times have changed!

Oldsmobile-88

I travelled on the Friday overnight train up north with Tony Phillips from St. David's in the late 60s, early 70s, so we could watch City away matches. I recall on one occasion we reached Scunthorpe and Tony used a phone box outside the station to contact the Echo with his latest City story pre-match. How times have changed!
He would have had to dictate copy over the phone during the match & at FT for the Football Final.
Iirc the Football Final was usually distributed by 6pm.
It finished in 1980,though was briefly revived in the closing stage of the 89/90 promotion season.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
This may be apocryphal but I seem to recall that reporters used to pay kids to hog phone boxes near London grounds for them to phone in copy at the end of games, as the clubs never had enough phone lines. And when I was a kid in the 50s and 60s getting a domestic line put in was eye-wateringly expensive and took months of waiting.