• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

So who’s better?

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
If it's just down to achievements on the pitch and not all the emotive stuff that always comes up when we discuss this sort of managerial thing, then as some others have said its currently Tisdale for double promotion and the L1 8th place finish. Simples I reckon.

Rosencrantz

Unless I've missed it, nobody has mentioned that as well as winning the League under Coops we also reached the 3rd round of the FA Cup and we were minutes from knocking out 1st Division Norwich and the 4th round of the League Cup and were minutes from knocking out 2nd Division Sunderland having already knocked out 3rd Division Swansea, 2nd Division Blackburn and 3rd Division Blackpool in the previous three rounds. So on that basis, it's Terry Cooper for me as things currently stand.
As a devil's advocate though, TC's other three and a half seasons did not see a top half finish. Other managers have had more sustained performance but not of course the silverware (yet 😉). Most successful season though.

grecIAN Harris

As a devil's advocate though, TC's other three and a half seasons did not see a top half finish. Other managers have had more sustained performance but not of course the silverware (yet 😉). Most successful season though.
Are you sure? I thought we finished top half in his first season which is something we hadn't done for many moons.

grecIAN Harris

With regards Tis not mentioned, again unless I've missed it, is helped lay the bedrock with Taggy as to what we have now in terms of our production line and that is something you simply can't put a price or a point on as far as Exeter City FC is concerned. It defines us, it who we are now. Without it we wouldn't be where we are today. I know Tis left under a cloud but he did more than just manage the team, he managed the football club

Last edited:
Are you sure? I thought we finished top half in his first season which is something we hadn't done for many moons.
Finished 13th in 1988/89 so not quite top half and also knocked out at the first stage of all cup comps including one unmentionable one on the Sussex coast

Cowshed Grecian

Terry Cooper built the best team, the 90 team was the stuff of legends and the reason i started supporting City as a 10 year old.
Tisdale had 12 years, i often wonder what would have happened if Alex Inglethorpe would have stayed longer or someone else would of been given 12 years. Tisdale had the bounce of double promotion and a fantastic eighth League 1 finish. However he should of been sacked when we still had a survival chance in League 1 in the season we were relegated and appeared to be like a cat with more than 9 lives throughout his tenure and should of been sacked at least 6-7 times. The season we couldn't win at home is the only time i have ever lost interest in the club, and stopped attending games as a season ticket holder. I thank him for his involvement in the fantastic Academy setup but again with the amount of top class youngsters he had at his disposal coming through e.g Watkins, Grimes etc he should have done better. He also was unable to take accountability of poor performances and blamed everyone and everything else just like he has at MK Dons, Bristol Rovers and Stevenage. Where he has promptly been sacked like he should of been at our club.
In four seasons MT has rebuilt a couple of attacking teams now, quite frankly i actually believe last season in periods-that was probably the most formidable attacking team (Randall,Randall,Jay,Bowman) i've ever seen at SJP. Its been a long ten years in League 2 and Matty had gone close, but for me you have to praise him because people were quite rightly questioning if it was ever going to happen, we had just received the Watkins and Randall Money and Fans expectations changed drastically and he got his Marquee signings in and has now fantastically completed the job. For me Taylor is on course to be our Best Manager ever, He's also my favourite manager ever in that he is very humble and will take accountability and i'm sure if things do wrong and he wasn't the man to take the club forward, he would be the first person to say so.

geoffwp

With regards Tis not mentioned, again unless I've missed it, is helped lay the bedrock with Taggy as to what we have now in terms of our production line and that is something you simply can't put a price or a point on as far as Exeter City FC is concerned. It defines us, it who we are now. Without it we wouldn't be where we are today. I know Tis left under a cloud but he did more than just manage the team, he managed the football club
Though of course this is the big deny for some who dislike the man so much they'd really quite like to dislike him out of history. I do believe MT alluded to this, or something like it, in an interview recently.

Cowshed Grecian

Though of course this is the big deny for some who dislike the man so much they'd really quite like to dislike him out of history. I do believe MT alluded to this, or something like it, in an interview recently.
I'm not sure why i keep seeing Tisdale's name so much-he left four years ago. Fair enough if MT wants to namedrop him, but people are still insistent that he has some involvement in us about to win the league? Its a bit strange. I'd liken it too if Arsenal won the Premier League next season "Thanks Arsene Wenger". I don't get it. I think there are Tisdale deniers the other way round.

dommers

Finished 13th in 1988/89 so not quite top half and also knocked out at the first stage of all cup comps including one unmentionable one on the Sussex coast
The other 3 clubs that got promoted from division four went up again which must be unusual

geoffwp

I'm not sure why i keep seeing Tisdale's name so much-he left four years ago. Fair enough if MT wants to namedrop him, but people are still insistent that he has some involvement in us about to win the league? Its a bit strange. I'd liken it too if Arsenal won the Premier League next season "Thanks Arsene Wenger". I don't get it. I think there are Tisdale deniers the other way round.
I think you need to check the thread title again CS. All the managers involved with promotions are being mentioned. Simply that.